US stocks drop on economy worriesMay 17th, 2011 - 5:47 am ICT by IANS
New York, May 17 (IANS) US stocks fell Monday, with the tech-heavy Nasdaq leading the decliners, as weaker-than-expected economic data made investors worry about the strength of the US economy, Xinhua reported.
Before the opening bell, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York reported that manufacturing in the New York region slowed down in May as the cost of raw materials soared.
The Empire State index fell to 11.88, well below the economists’ estimates of 20. In April the index hit the record high of 21.70.
Meanwhile, US economic growth is expected to be slower than previously thought due to rising commodity prices, a tepid housing market and financial headwinds, according to a survey released by the National Association for Business Economics Monday.
A panel of 41 economists cut its projections for 2011 US economic growth from 3.3 percent to 2.8 percent, but maintained its forecast for moderate economic growth through 2012.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 47.38 points, or 0.38 percent, to 12,548.37. The Standard & Poor’s 500 dropped 8.30 points, or 0.62 percent, to 1,329.47. The Nasdaq Composite Index declined 46.16 points, or 1.63 percent, to 2,782.31.
- Wall Street ends May lower, snapping five-month winning streak - Jun 01, 2011
- US stocks trim losses despite weak data (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- US stocks slide amid euro concerns (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Wall Street ends worst quarter - Oct 01, 2011
- US stocks close mixed - Mar 31, 2012
- US stocks extend losses as relief over debt deal faded - Aug 02, 2011
- US stocks rally after Bernanke's remarks - Mar 27, 2012
- US stocks trim losses in late-hour trading - May 18, 2011
- US stocks end higher on positive jobs report (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Wall Street up for third day - Oct 07, 2011
- US stocks mixed on disappointing data - Jun 13, 2012
- US stocks end mixed (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- US stocks slump after Fed offers bleak outlook (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- US stocks tumble after March jobs report - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex up 131.47 points, IT stocks gain (Roundup) - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bank of new york, business economics, commodity prices, decliners, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, economic data, economists, empire state, federal reserve bank, federal reserve bank of new york, headwinds, housing market, moderate economic growth, nasdaq composite index, opening bell, raw materials, state index, xinhua