US stocks dragged down by disappointing earningsFebruary 5th, 2009 - 6:47 am ICT by IANS
New York, Feb 5 (Xinhua) US stocks were dragged down by disappointing earnings and outlook warnings Wednesday despite a better-than-expected service sector reportThe market was lifted in the morning after latest data showed that contraction in the service sector slowed in January.
The US Institute for Supply Management (ISM) reported Wednesday that its January non-manufacturing index rose from 40.1 in December to 42.9, better than economists’ expectation.
The ISM report helped ease investors’ worries over rising unemployment after a report released earlier Wednesday showed that 522,000 private-sector jobs were lost in January.
However, poor earnings reports weighed on markets later in the day, as investors worried about US economic outlook.
Kraft Foods Inc. reported a 72-percent drop in its fourth-quarter profit and it would cut 2009 guidance because of the stronger dollar and pension costs.
Time Warner Inc. posted a loss of $16.03 billion in the fourth-quarter because of a write-down of $24.2 billion for its cable, publishing and AOL assets.
Walt Disney Co. reported a sharply lower-than-expected quarterly profit as the global downturn hurt its TV advertising, DVD sales and theme parks. Disney shares fell more than seven percent.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 121.70 points, or 1.51 percent, to close at 7,956.66, while the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index slipped 6.30 points, or 0.75 percent, at 832.21. The Nasdaq Composite Index shed 1.25 points, or 0.08 percent, to end at 1,515.05.
- US service sector grows at slowest pace in 18 months - Aug 04, 2011
- US stocks edge higher on Greece hopes (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Growth slows in US service sector - Dec 06, 2011
- US manufacturing sector slows pace in February - Mar 02, 2012
- US stocks mixed - Jan 28, 2012
- US manufacturing sector slows pace - Mar 02, 2012
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth slows - Aug 03, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows in April (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- US stocks sink on weak jobs, manufacturing report - Jun 02, 2011
- China's non-manufacturing sector rebounds (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- US service sector grows in June - Jul 06, 2012
- US stocks fall on bleak earnings - Jan 14, 2012
- US stocks rise amid IMF report, Goldman results - Jan 19, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows - Mar 03, 2012
- US stocks end higher - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: contraction, disney shares, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, economic outlook, global downturn, institute for supply management, kraft foods inc, nasdaq composite index, pension costs, poor earnings, quarter profit, quarterly profit, service sector, time warner inc, tv advertising, walt disney, walt disney co, xinhua