US stocks climb on home sales, American Express resultsApril 24th, 2010 - 6:06 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 24 (DPA) US stocks rose Friday across the board, buoyed by resurgent home sales, a strong American Express report and a rebounding Honeywell.
The US Census Bureau reported a 27-percent jump in new home sales in March compared to February, the largest jump since 1963, fuelled by optimism of economic recovery and a soon-to-expire $8,000 tax credit for first-time home buyers.
American Express stocks advanced 2.7 percent, after it said its first-quarter net income doubled from 2009 and its card holders had the lowest March credit card delinquency of the six biggest credit card companies.
Capital One posted a profit after last year’s loss.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 69.99 points or 0.63 percent to 11,204.28. The broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index rose 8.61 points, or 0.71 percent, to 1,217.28. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index added 11.08 points, or 0.44 percent, to 2,530.15.
The US currency dropped against the euro to 74.71 euro cents from 75.27 euro cents on Thursday. The dollar rose against the Japanese currency to 93.97 yen from 93.47 yen.
- US stocks gain on Ford profits, positive economic news - Nov 03, 2009
- Oil rises on positive data - Mar 14, 2012
- US stocks gain on financial firms - Mar 11, 2010
- US stocks back in positive territory - May 02, 2009
- Indian markets end week with modest gains (Weekly market review) - Apr 24, 2010
- Economic optimism spurs US stocks - Apr 21, 2010
- Sensex rises in early trade - Jan 12, 2011
- US stocks surge on Fed forecast, Intel, American Express results - Jul 16, 2009
- US stocks rise on improved consumer confidence - Mar 31, 2010
- Technology, bank shares boost Wall Street - Jun 10, 2009
- US stocks edge up on new housing sales - Jul 28, 2009
- US stocks pushed higher by oil, metal gains - Nov 18, 2009
- Indian markets ruling higher, Asian cues positive - Feb 08, 2012
- Wall Street stocks close first week of 2010 higher - Jan 09, 2010
- US stocks continue rally on economic recovery hopes - Jul 17, 2009
Tags: american express, april 24, blue chip, capital one, census bureau, credit card delinquency, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, economic recovery, first time home, first time home buyers, honeywell, japanese currency, nasdaq composite index, net income, optimism, time home buyers, us census bureau, us currency