US service sector grows at slowest pace in 18 monthsAugust 4th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 4 (IANS/EFE) The service sector of the US economy grew last month at the slowest pace since January 2010, said a report released Wednesday.
The Institute for Supply Management’s Non-Manufacturing Index came in at 52.7 points in July, down from 53.3 in June and well short of the 53.6 reading predicted by most analysts.
The July NMI figure was the lowest since January 2010, when the index stood at 50.7 points.
Any reading above 50 is viewed as positive and by that measure, July was the 20th consecutive month of expansion in the service sector.
The index is calculated on the basis of data and observations provided by executives and business owners.
“Respondents’ comments remain mixed; however, for the most part they indicate that business conditions are flattening out,” Anthony Nieves, chair of ISM’s Non-Manufacturing Business Survey Committee, said in a statement.
The service-sector New Orders Index fell 1.9 points in July to 51.7, while the Employment Index dipped 1.6 points to 52.5, though it remained in positive territory for the 11th consecutive month.
Prices in the sector declined last month by 4.3 points to 56.6 percent, reflecting a slowdown in price increases, the ISM said.
More encouragingly, the Non-Manufacturing Business Activity Index rose 2.7 points to 56.1 percent, marking two solid years of expansion.
- US service sector grows in June - Jul 06, 2012
- Growth slows in US service sector - Dec 06, 2011
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth picks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Growth up in China's non-manufacturing sector - Sep 03, 2012
- Report points to slower growth in US manufacturing - Sep 02, 2011
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows in April (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Growth of US manufacturing sector slows - Nov 02, 2011
- US manufacturing slows - Aug 02, 2011
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth goes up (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector rebounds (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth slows - Aug 03, 2012
- US manufacturing remains healthy - May 03, 2011
- China's non-manufacturing sector rebounds - Apr 03, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows - Mar 03, 2012
- Oil edges up - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: activity index, business activity, business conditions, business owners, business survey, economy, efe, employment index, institute for supply management, ism, manufacturing business, nmi, respondents, service sector, slowdown, slowest pace, survey committee