US says it’s helping India find alternative oil suppliesMay 24th, 2012 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 24 (IANS) In the face of a public outcry in India over rising oil prices due to Iran oil sanctions, the US said it was trying to help New Delhi find alternative sources of supply.
“We are working with countries around the world to encourage them to diversify supply away from Iranian crude,” State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters Wednesday when asked about the impact of Iran sanctions on India.
“This isn’t just about India. It’s about a whole list of countries who we are trying, in the first instance, to help find alternative sources of supply, to work through what their options might be,” she said.
Nuland also welcomed the signing of an agreement for the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline as “a perfect example of energy diversification, energy integration, done right”.
“We consider it a very positive step forward and sort of a key example of what we’re seeking with our New Silk Road Initiative, which aims at regional integration to lift all boats and create prosperity across the region.”
The US, she said, had offered to be supportive “politically, and we stand by to be supportive in other ways if asked”.
Asked why the US was opposed to the Iran-Pakistan pipeline when it was so positive on TAPI, Nuland said: “The other pipeline, as just to be clear, goes to an unreliable partner who is not complying with its international obligations with Iran.”
“Our concern has to do with investing in a country that that we have concerns is spending its money not on its people but on dangerous technology and weapons.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India making right steps on Iran sanctions: Clinton - Mar 01, 2012
- Gas from TAPI likely to flow in five years: Official - Aug 18, 2012
- India signs gas supply pact with Turkmenistan - May 23, 2012
- TAPI pipeline to India could be pipedream: Pakistani daily - Dec 15, 2010
- IPI on backburner, India hopeful of TAPI by 2015 - Jan 07, 2011
- Iran to ask India for spurring tri-nation pipeline - Aug 27, 2012
- India discusses TAPI pipeline project with Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2011
- India to get gas from Turkmenistan - May 17, 2012
- US asking India to 'wean' from Iranian crude - Feb 18, 2012
- Wean from Iranian crude, US tells India, Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Pakistan won't take dictation from anyone: Daily - Sep 17, 2011
- US serves notice on India on Iran oil sanctions - Mar 22, 2012
- 'India needs to engage Central Asia for 30 years' - Jan 13, 2012
- India, Pakistan say strategy soon for gas import from Turkmenistan - Jan 25, 2012
- Pakistan, Turkmenistan ink five accords - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, arun kumar, countries around the world, energy diversification, energy integration, first instance, gas pipeline, international obligations, iran oil, iran pakistan, iran sanctions, list of countries, pakistan india, public outcry, regional integration, rising oil prices, silk road, step forward, tapi, victoria nuland