US rating downgrade positive, negative for India: OfficialAugust 7th, 2011 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 6 (IANS) The downgrading of the US long term credit rating by global rating agency Standard and Poors (S&P;) from AAA to AA+ has positive and negative features for India, a finance ministry official said Saturday.
“Indian exports might be affected. On the positive side we could see more inflow of funds to India,” R.Gopalan, secretary, department of teconomic affairs in the ministry, told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
He said one should look at the positive fallout as well.
Queried about the tackling the inflation by increasing the supplies of essential items, Gopalan said the measures announced in the union budget to increase agri produce like pulses and others are expected to bear fruit
Speaking at the inaugural function of Professor C.K.Prahalad Centre for Emerging India at the Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA), Gopalan said: “We had good growth in early part of the decade.”
According to him, growth should be with equity and the country needs governance and legal rights for people.
“Our focus is on growth with equity,” Gopalan said.
- India's reforms should not be left half-baked: M.K.Narayanan - Aug 07, 2011
- Tough times ahead for Indian equities markets - Aug 07, 2011
- A global crisis but Indian economy strong: Mukherjee (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- US crisis may hit but also benefit India, says FICCI - Aug 08, 2011
- Indian IT industry to grow 16-18 percent, market cautious - Aug 23, 2011
- Direct taxes are major resource for undertaking development work: Pranab Mukherjee - Feb 26, 2011
- US calls S&P; downgrade 'a facts-be-damned decision' - Aug 06, 2011
- S&P; warns US of further downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Government assures help to revive mutual fund business - Jul 02, 2012
- US markets plunge after the downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Fitch cuts Greece credit rating - May 18, 2012
- US rating downgrade won't hurt Indian exports: Scindia - Aug 29, 2011
- US loses AAA credit rating, terms it 'a facts-be-damned decision' (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Deven Sharma to step down as S&P;'s chief (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- India pitches for ratings upgrade from Fitch - May 17, 2012
Tags: aaa, c k prahalad, credit rating, fallout, finance ministry official, gopalan, inaugural function, indian exports, inflation, inflow, institute of business administration, liba, loyola institute of business administration, negative features, professor c, pulses, secretary department, sidelines, standard and poors, union budget