US raises India’s sugar import quotaJune 23rd, 2011 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 23 (IANS) In a bid to ease a supply shortage of sugar amid surging retail prices, the US has boosted its import quota for raw sugar by 120,000 tonnes including 1,421 tonnes from India.
With the addition of 120,000 tonnes to the tariff-rate quota (TRQ) for the 2011 fiscal year ending Sep 30, the quota now totals 1.676 million tonnes, the US Department of Agriculture said Wednesday.
Sugar is the only major agricultural commodity produced in the US that is subject to import quotas. The limits were established to benefit domestic growers. Mexico became exempt from the quota in 2008 under the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Announcing country-specific allocations of additional in-quota quantity of the tariff-rate quota (TRQ) for imported raw cane sugar, the US Trade Representative (USTR) said TRQs allow countries to export specified quantities of a product to the US at a relatively low tariff, but subject all imports of the product above a pre-determined threshold to a higher tariff.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India increases sugar export to maintain price - Aug 02, 2011
- Pakistan to import 100,000 tonnes of sugar - Oct 14, 2011
- US takes India to WTO over poultry import bar - May 12, 2012
- US seeks talks on Indian ban on American poultry - Mar 07, 2012
- US asks India, China, Brazil to open farm markets - Aug 05, 2010
- Pawar's ministry defends exporting sugar to EU - Feb 23, 2010
- Government efforts keeping sugar price stable: Mukherjee - Apr 24, 2012
- Coromandel SQM completes water soluble fertiliser plant - Jan 11, 2012
- Sugar output may drop by 1 mn tonne - Aug 08, 2012
- US asks India to address 'longstanding impediments' to trade - Jun 23, 2010
- US puts India, China, Pakistan on IPR watch list - May 02, 2012
- Aluminium summit to explore investments, technology - Dec 05, 2011
- US sets up panel to probe unfair trade practices - Feb 29, 2012
- Singareni's striking miners offered double wages - Sep 24, 2011
- US lists Delhi's Nehru Place among 30 'notorious markets' - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: agricultural commodity, allocations, arun kumar, department of agriculture, fiscal year, free trade agreement, import quota, june 23, north american free trade agreement, quotas, raw cane sugar, raw sugar, retail prices, sugar import, tariff rate quota, threshold, trq, us department of agriculture, us trade representative, ustr