US optical networking firm expands Bangalore research facilityDecember 5th, 2011 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Dec 5 (IANS) Infinera Corp, a leading US provider of optical networking systems to telecom carriers, Monday announced it is expanding its research and development facility in this tech hub.
“As our Bangalore team plays a pivotal role in the development of the data transmission network (DTN) platform, we are expanding the R&D; centre and sales office to tap the market opportunity and domain expertise available here,” Infinera chief executive Tom Fallon told reporters.
The R&D; centre in India is the company’s second largest after its main facility at Sunnyvale in California.
According to a telecom industry study, India’s internet traffic will reach 1.1 exabytes per month in 2015, up from 121 petabytes per month in 2010 while mobile data traffic will reach 339 petabytes per month.
“Rising broadband speeds will play a key role in driving internet traffic growth, leading global service providers to deploy solutions that scale their optical networks. Our solutions enable data providers to scale their networks, simplify operations and transport an array of broadband services,” Fallon said.
As innovation is at the core of its business and research is a priority, the centre generated a number of patents for the parent company.
“With the Indian market is growing rapidly, we have opened a sales office to support customers and ensure the same service level in the region as we do globally,” Infinera India sales director Subhendu Sarkar noted.
- C-DOT transfers optical fibre technology to firms - Dec 05, 2011
- C-DOT to transfer optical fiber technology to firms Monday - Dec 04, 2011
- Tejas unveils new optical carrier for 3G, broadband services - Aug 13, 2010
- Team achieves record 1 trillion bits per second speed on single chip - Mar 01, 2011
- Tulip Telecom offers on-demand cloud storage services - May 03, 2012
- China aims for high-speed internet - Feb 17, 2012
- TRAI recommends $6 bn national broadband network - Dec 08, 2010
- Google unveils new ultra-high speed internet - Jul 27, 2012
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Airtel unveils 4G service in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- Sibal stresses on urgent need for finalization of national broadband plan - Jan 19, 2011
- SSTL launches mobile broadband services in Andhra - Mar 23, 2011
- Bharti Airtel expands service agreement with Ericsson - Nov 28, 2011
- Tata Communications, Oman's Nawras launch undersea cable network - Nov 15, 2011
- Egypt Shuts Down Internet Amidst Rising Political Unrest And Protests - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: broadband speeds, d centre, data providers, data traffic, data transmission network, domain expertise, exabytes, global service providers, infinera corp, internet traffic, networking firm, optical networking systems, optical networks, petabytes, services fallon, study india, telecom carriers, telecom industry, tom fallon, traffic growth