US mortgage rates fall to lowest level in decadesJanuary 1st, 2009 - 4:13 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 1 (DPA) Mortgage rates for 30-year-fixed home loans in the US fell for the ninth straight week and to their lowest level in 37 years, according to a report released Wednesday by financier Freddie Mac.The rate dropped in the final week of December to 5.10, down from the 5.14 rate the previous week, Freddie Mac said. For the same period in 2007, the rate was at 6.07 percent.
The mortgage rate has not been this low since Freddie Mac began the survey in 1971.
The crisis in the financial markets caused by risky home loans that brought about record defaults has sent the housing market plummeting and played a key role in sparking the economic slowdown.
“Interest rates for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages fell for the ninth straight week and represented a third consecutive all time record low since Freddie Mac’s survey began in April 1971,” said Frank Nothaft, Freddie Mac vice president and chief economist.
The US Treasury Department has moved to pump hundreds of billions of dollars into the finance market to buy out bad loans and rescue the industry. The Federal Reserve has announced a plan to buy up $500 billion in mortgage securities attached to government-backed financiers Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Ginnie Mae.
The three firms have been faulted for risky practices along with other private companies who are blamed for bringing on the economic crisis.
- US sues financial firms over mortgage losses - Sep 03, 2011
- US fixed mortgage rates back to record lows - Sep 21, 2012
- Fannie Mac seeks $7.8 bn aid from US government - Nov 09, 2011
- US seeks to suspend executives' bonuses at mortgage giants - Nov 16, 2011
- Freddie Mac posts huge loss - Nov 04, 2011
- US mortgage applications fall - Mar 22, 2012
- Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac prevented two mn foreclosures: Report - Dec 07, 2011
- US Mortgage rates fall to a decade low - Oct 07, 2010
- Mortgage lender Fannie Mae posts nearly $19 bn loss - Nov 06, 2009
- US house prices flat - Mar 23, 2012
- Obama launches plan to help families facing foreclosure - Oct 26, 2011
- US official warns against perils of 'financial crisis amnesia' - Mar 03, 2012
- Obama's plan to help 3.5 mn homeowners (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Movies, business, fitness, feminism on bookshelf (IANS Books This Week) - Jun 02, 2011
- US Fed takes more steps to unfreeze credit markets - Nov 25, 2008
Tags: 30 year fixed rate mortgages, chief economist, economic slowdown, fannie mae, finance market, fixed rate mortgages, ginnie mae, mortgage securities, us treasury department, year fixed rate mortgages