US government agrees to rescue Citigroup (Lead)November 24th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 24 (DPA) The US government has said that it will move to save ailing bank Citigroup by guaranteeing it against huge losses in the midst of the global financial crisis brought on by banks crippled by bad loans.In a joint statement, the US Treasury, the Federal Reserve and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation said late Sunday that they would guarantee Citigroup against massive losses on its $306 billion in mortgage-related assets. In return, the bank will grant the government shares of stock.
The government will also give Citigroup $20 billion from the $700-billion financial rescue plan in exchange for stock with an eight percent dividend to the Treasury Department. The bank will also face restrictions on executive pay and other areas under the deal.
The hard-hit bank lost 60 percent of its value last week and it was forced to dodge rumours it planned to sell off large parts of its business.
The largest US bank by assets has experienced four quarters of losses that amount to more than $20 billion. Citigroup has cut more than 75,000 jobs, including 50,000 positions that were chopped just last week.
- Citigroup to pay $285 mn to settle fraud charges - Oct 20, 2011
- Fannie Mac seeks $7.8 bn aid from US government - Nov 09, 2011
- Pandit's Citi Bank found wanting in stress test (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Freddie Mac posts huge loss - Nov 04, 2011
- US seeks to suspend executives' bonuses at mortgage giants - Nov 16, 2011
- US Treasury to receive $5.75 bn from AIG stock sale - Aug 07, 2012
- AIG pays back $1.5 bn to US Treasury - Mar 23, 2012
- US stocks soar over Citigroup rescue plan - Nov 25, 2008
- US sues financial firms over mortgage losses - Sep 03, 2011
- Citigroup to acquire Wachovia's banking operations (Lead)(With Bush seeks quick approval as Wachovia fails) - Sep 29, 2008
- Citigroup rescue plan close at hand, Pandit's fate unclea - Nov 24, 2008
- Citigroup launches counterattack to stabilise firm - Nov 23, 2008
- US markets plunge after the downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Citi's Pandit will work for $1 in 2010 too - Sep 25, 2010
- U.S. To Vend Whole Stake In Citi At An Elevated Profit - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: citigroup, deposit insurance corporation, federal deposit insurance, federal deposit insurance corporation, federal reserve, global financial crisis, massive losses, treasury department, us bank, us treasury