US federal budget deficit reaches $137 bn in NovemberDecember 13th, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 13 (IANS) The US federal government reported a budget deficit of $137.3 billion in November, the US Treasury Department announced Monday.
That brought the total budget deficit of the first two months of the 2012 fiscal year to $235.8 billion, lower than the $290.8 billion in the same period a year earlier, reported Xinhua.
A major reason for the much lower budget deficit in the first two months than those of last year is an accounting shift. Roughly $31 billion in benefit payments for October went out in late September. Federal benefits are paid on the first day of the month. But because Oct 1 fell on a Saturday, the payments went out a day earlier and were accounted for in last year’s deficit.
The US federal government raked in a revenue of $152.4 billion in November, and registered outlays of $289.7 billion. In the first two months of this budget year, the US government collected $315.5 billion. That was up 4.7 percent from a year ago.
In the 2009 fiscal year, US federal government’s fiscal imbalance recorded an all-time high level of $1.41 trillion and fell slightly to $1.29 trillion in the 2010 fiscal year.
Currently, the nation’s total public debt is about $15 trillion, according to the Treasury.
Economists hold that it is still challenging for the country to keep its fiscal sustainability as the economy is merely on slow recovery.
- US federal budget deficit drops to $27.4 bn - Feb 11, 2012
- US budget deficit hits $98 bn - Nov 11, 2011
- US federal government has $69.6 bn deficit - Aug 11, 2012
- US budget deficit hits $198 bn in March - Apr 12, 2012
- US federal deficit narrows - Jul 13, 2012
- US reports $232 bn budget deficit - Mar 13, 2012
- US deficit hits $1.1 trillion - Aug 11, 2011
- US government to borrow $644 bn - Jan 31, 2012
- Obama requests $1.2 trillion rise in borrowing limit - Jan 13, 2012
- China's US debt holdings at $1.16 trillion - Mar 01, 2011
- Foreign holdings of US debt hit record high - Jun 15, 2012
- US deficit at $86 bn in December, 2011 - Jan 13, 2012
- US to grow 4 percent, unemployment to stay at 9 percent - Jul 24, 2010
- `China's fiscal revenues to surpass budget this year' - Dec 01, 2011
- Pakistan finalises Rs.3.8 trillion budget - May 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,