US economic recovery speeds up: ObamaFebruary 4th, 2012 - 1:15 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 3 (IANS) US economic recovery was speeding up with the labor market improving, but the nation needed to take more steps to bolster the faltering recovery, President Barack Obama said Friday.
Obama welcomed the latest job market report as good news about the economy, but he cautioned that there were still too many unemployed Americans, Xinhua reported.
He urged the Congress to make joint efforts to sustain the momentum of the economic recovery, including passing the extension of payroll tax cuts for the full year.
The US unemployment rate edged down to 8.3 percent last month from 8.5 percent in Dececember 2011, evidence of an improving job market, the US Labor Department said.
“In January, American businesses added another 257,000 jobs. The unemployment rate came down because more people found work. And altogether, we’ve added 3.7 million new jobs over the last 23 months,” he said.
Speaking at a fire station in Arlington, Virginia, Obama warned the Congress not to “muck up” the economic recovery.
“The recovery is speeding up. And we’ve got to do everything in our power to keep it going,” Obama stressed.
“Now is not the time for self-inflicted wounds to our economy. Now is the time for action,” he added.
- US unemployment rate drops in April - May 05, 2012
- U.S. jobless rate drops to 8.1% as people give up searching for work - Sep 08, 2012
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.5 percent, lowest in almost 3 years - Jan 07, 2012
- US unemployment rate edges down to 8.3 percent - Feb 04, 2012
- Time to step on the gas to bolster US economy: Obama - Dec 04, 2011
- Obama seeks more action to rebuild US economy - Jul 08, 2012
- Job creation, economic growth Obama's top priority - Aug 06, 2011
- Federal Reserve to pump more liquidity into US economy - Sep 14, 2012
- Obama vows to create more jobs - Jan 08, 2012
- US stocks tumble after March jobs report - Apr 10, 2012
- US initial jobless claims dip to six-week low - Jul 06, 2012
- Obama hails positive jobs data - Mar 10, 2012
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.1 percent, lowest in 3 years - May 05, 2012
- Obama urges US firms to bring jobs home - Jan 12, 2012
- US adds less jobs in a sluggish economy (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: american businesses, arlington virginia, barack obama, congress, economic recovery, economy, fire station, job, momentum, muck, new jobs, payroll tax, self inflicted wounds, tax cuts, unemployed americans, us labor department, us unemployment rate, xinhua