US consumer confidence at 28-month lowAugust 31st, 2011 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 31 (IANS/EFE) The confidence of US consumers in the country’s economy fell sharply in August and reached its lowest level since April 2009, authorities reported Tuesday, attributing the decline in part to the lengthy congressional negotiations to raise the debt limit.
The Conference Board’s Consumer Confidence Index plunged this month to 44.5 points, compared to its level of 59.2 in July, when it had experienced a slight improvement after two consecutive months of decline.
Index readings were usually in the 90s during the economic expansion that ended in December 2007.
One factor in this month’s fall “may have been the debt ceiling discussions since the decline in confidence was well underway before the S&P; downgrade (of US sovereign debt),” Lynn Franco, director of The Conference Board Consumer Research Centre, said in a press release.
Consumers “grew significantly more pessimistic about the short-term outlook”, Franco said.
The Expectations Index, based on respondents’ views of how the economy will be doing in six months, plunged to 51.9 in early August from 74.9 last month.
- Consumer confidence rebounds in US - Nov 30, 2011
- Little change in US consumer confidence - Sep 28, 2011
- US consumer confidence declines - Jun 01, 2011
- US consumer confidence continues rise - Dec 28, 2011
- US consumer confidence at 2-year low - Oct 26, 2011
- US factory orders rose in July - Sep 01, 2011
- US consumer confidence at three-decade low - Aug 13, 2011
- South Korea's consumer confidence weakens - Aug 27, 2012
- US consumer confidence at five-month low - Mar 12, 2011
- US consumer confidence climbs in March - Mar 30, 2010
- Spanish consumer confidence at all-time low - Aug 04, 2012
- US loses 'stable' outlook from top agencies - Nov 29, 2011
- Wall Street ends May lower, snapping five-month winning streak - Jun 01, 2011
- Fitch maintains its AAA US credit rating - Aug 17, 2011
- Obama asks Congress to solve debt crisis - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: authorities, consumer confidence index, consumer research centre, consumers, debt ceiling, debt limit, decline, early august, economic expansion, economy, efe, expectations index, franco, negotiations, Press Release, respondents, six months, slight improvement, sovereign debt, term outlook