UP traders to protest ‘close at 7 p.m.’ orderJune 18th, 2012 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 18 (IANS) Upset over the Uttar Pradesh government’s order to close shops and malls by 7 p.m. in the face of acute power crisis, traders have decided to hold protests across the state Wednesday.
Saying the diktat would seriously imperil their businesses, trader-members of Uttar Pradesh Udyog Vyapar Mandal (UPUVM) said the move was impractical and needed to be opposed tooth and nail.
“It doesn’t make any sense. People usually come out for shopping after 7 p.m. owing to the heat wave conditions during the day. If we close our shops at that time, the business is bound to suffer,” UPUVM functionary Sandeep Bansal said.
Traders, Bansal said, would take to the streets against this order and would oppose it through a memorandum to Chief minister Akhilesh Yadav.
UPUVM president Sanjay Gupta said the decision amounted to the victimisation of shopkeepers and would not be “accepted at any cost”.
Traders would protest against the order in all district headquarters outside the district magistrate’s office, he said.
Daring the government to take action, senior functionary Banwari Lal Kanchal said the shops would not close before 9 p.m.
Facing a shortfall of around 2,500 MW, the state government Sunday ordered all shops and shopping malls across the state to roll down their shutters at 7 p.m.
A spokesperson of the labour department said only pharmacy shops would be allowed the flexibility to operate beyond the new closing time.
According to the spokesperson, the new business hours for restaurants and food joints in the state have been fixed between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m.
The order will be in force for 15 days.
Officials Monday said the labour department would ensure that the order was not flouted.
- UP traders claim bandh a success, to keep up protests (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- UP backtracks on 7 p.m. closure order for shop, malls (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Severe power crisis in UP forces partial shutdown - Jun 17, 2012
- Traders down shutters to support Hazare - Aug 27, 2011
- Traders to beseech Lord Ganesha against FDI in retail - Sep 18, 2012
- Chandigarh debates: To shop or not to shop on Sunday - Jun 19, 2011
- Businessman shot in Ghaziabad - Feb 03, 2012
- UP jewellers protest duty hike - Mar 31, 2012
- FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in Himachal - Dec 01, 2011
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Mayawati gives Mulayam yet another jolt (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Samajwadi Party leader, his supporters join BSP - Apr 17, 2009
- Mayawati expels three BSP leaders - Nov 18, 2009
- Shops in Tamil Nadu closed to protest FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- SP workers clash with police during FDI protests - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: chief minister, closing time, diktat, district headquarters, district magistrate, food joints, heat wave, labour department, lal, power crisis, sanjay gupta, shopping malls, shortfall, shutters, spokesperson, tooth and nail, uttar pradesh government, victimisation, wave conditions, yadav