Unused phones worth 2.7 bn pounds lying in British homesJune 3rd, 2011 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 3 (IANS) British homes have a huge number of unused mobile phones that could be worth around 2.7 billion pounds, a new market research has revealed.
The research by leading global telecommunications operator Orange reveals that at least 32 percent of Britons are unaware they could recycle their old and unused mobile phones, says the Daily Telegraph.
Orange is one of the main European operators for mobile and broadband internet services. The study was commissioned by the company to promote its new recycling scheme.
The study was based on a theory that everybody in Britain has an old mobile phone they could recycle. There are reportedly more mobile phone accounts in Britain than there are people.
The study said 40 percent of people have never recycled an old phone and 24 percent have never even considered the possibility.
Orange said its recycling offer on handsets average 45 pounds sterling and can sometimes rise to as high as 252 pounds.
More than one in 10 people said they held on to old handsets for sentimental reasons - rising to 23 percent among 18-24 year olds.
- Support for Games offers promise of social legacy for UK - Aug 12, 2012
- Britons keep 90m unused phone handsets at home! - Sep 14, 2009
- iPhone swipe enough to pay for your shopping - Jan 27, 2011
- Mobile users in UK turn to free instant messaging for communication - Apr 26, 2011
- WHO study on cancer from cell phones outdated: Experts - Jun 02, 2011
- China online mobile phone sales soar - Sep 21, 2012
- 4G service to speed up British mobile internet by 16 times - Mar 23, 2011
- Elderly Britons hitting the bottle on the rise - Sep 07, 2012
- Young Brits prefer Facebook for staying in touch - Sep 17, 2011
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- Mobiles making Britons lose their manners - May 17, 2012
- Crime, taxes may force many Britons to leave - Apr 16, 2012
- India's mobile handsets sales cross 50 mn in Jan-March - Jul 03, 2012
- It may be the end of time for the humble wristwatch - Oct 27, 2010
- Boom in Indian telecom industry to continue - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: britons, broadband internet services, daily telegraph, global telecommunications, june 3, london, market research, mobile phone, mobile phones, orange, pounds sterling, recycling, sentimental reasons, telecommunications operator