Unique ID project set to meet target: NilekaniJune 17th, 2011 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 17 (IANS) The target of generating 600 million unique ID cards by 2014 would be achieved, Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), said here Friday.
“We will achieve the target of generating 600 million unique identity cards (UID) by 2014. Till now we have generated 95 lakh and enrolled around two crore people,” Nilekani said at a press conference.
He is here to review the progress of the unique ID card process in Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
He said the work is currently progressing in 11 states.
Till Friday, 6.5 lakh unique cards have been generated and 20 lakh people have been enrolled in Jharkhand, Nilekani said.
Andhra Pradesh tops in the project followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Asked whether any parameters have been set in border areas of the country for generating unique ID cards, he said the cards “are proof of residency of a person and it is not a proof of nationality”.
Nilekani arrived here Friday morning and met Chief Minister Arjun Munda, who has assured all help in completing the task.
The UID project, when completed, will eliminate the need for multiple identification mechanisms. The permanent ID card will carry a unique number, photograph and biometric data.
- Over 2.8 crore unique identity numbers issued - Aug 24, 2011
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row - Jan 27, 2012
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- Post offices to distribute unique ID number - Feb 04, 2011
- Aadhar targets 200 million enrolments soon - Jan 21, 2012
- UID to facilitate healthcare services: Nilekani - Dec 01, 2011
- One mn Indians to be enrolled per day for unique identity - Jun 23, 2011
- Each Unique ID number costs Rs.100: Nilekani - Dec 03, 2010
- One crore Indians get their unique ID number - Jun 30, 2011
- Foreign diplomats get lesson on unique identification drive - Oct 20, 2011
- Chidambaram gives out smart ID cards in Andamans - Jan 22, 2012
- Draft bill on UIDAI to be ready within a month: Nandan Nilekani - May 12, 2010
- Aadhaar to pilot financial, banking services in 50 districts - Apr 18, 2012
- ID card agency to rope utilities to enroll people - Nov 19, 2009
Tags: arjun munda, bihar, biometric data, border areas, chief minister, crore, friday morning, jharkhand, karnataka, lakh, maharashtra, mechanisms, nationality, parameters, photograph, proof of residency, ranchi, target, tops, west bengal