Ulemas should think beyond madrassas, mosques: minority commission memberOctober 16th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 16 (IANS) Muslim clerics should “think beyond madrassas (seminaries) and mosques” for the development of the minority community in the true sense, said Abdul Ali Azizi, a member of the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC).”I appeal to ulemas (clerics) that they should move out of the confines of mosques and madrassas and cooperate in the development of villages and schools,” said Azizi at a press conference here Thursday.
He said the central government will soon release over Rs.50 million to set up hostels in Muslim-dominated areas of Uttar Pradesh to provide adequate residential facilities to poor students from the community.
Expressing concern over the state of Muslims in the state, Azizi said, “It is disheartening that in Uttar Pradesh, which boasts of improved development, representation of Muslims is fairly poor in the state’s minority and OBCs commissions.”
Taking this into account, various schemes must be taken up to increase representation of Muslims in such agencies, he said.
- SC declines to stay Andhra court order against sub-quota (Third Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Why quotas for only OBC Muslims, asks community - Dec 02, 2011
- Rajasthan has a plan for minorities - Sep 09, 2012
- Adopt Andhra model of reservations: Muslim leaders - Dec 19, 2011
- Congress promises jobs, free electricity in UP - Jan 31, 2012
- Where will Bengal's Muslim votes go? - Apr 25, 2011
- Deoband meet urges terrorists, Maoists to lay down arms - Nov 03, 2009
- A progressive madrassa in the heart of Uttar Pradesh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- 37 seminary students hospitalised in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 21, 2011
- Ahead of assembly polls, minorities given 4.5 percent quota in jobs (Fourth Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Quran with Bhagavad Gita in a communal harmony class - Nov 21, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh mosques double up as primary schools (With Image) - Feb 07, 2012
- Congress promises jobs, minority quota in UP (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Grand Imam of Mecca Masjid attends religious congregation in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
- BJP won't tolerate religion-based quota: Uma Bharti (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012