Ukraine stops all gas supplies to Europe: GazpromJanuary 7th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin/Kiev, Jan 7 (RIA Novosti) Ukraine has closed down the fourth and final pipeline pumping Russian gas to Europe, Russia’s energy giant Gazprom said Wednesday.Ukraine’s national energy company Naftogaz said Gazprom had stopped feeding gas to Ukrainian pipes, hence it closed down its network.
“Deliveries through the Sudzha station were reduced to zero at 7.44 a.m. (05:44 GMT).” Naftogaz’s press secretary Valentin Zemlyansky said Wednesday.
The latest closure added Austria, the Czech Republic, Romania and Slovakia to the growing list of countries not receiving Russian gas.
The three other pipelines were closed Tuesday, ending deliveries via Ukraine to Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, and Bosnia. Supplies to Italy, Poland, France and Slovenia are seriously disrupted.
Gazprom cut off gas supplies to Ukraine Jan 1 after talks with Kiev on a new deal for 2009 and debt repayments failed late New Year’s Eve. Naftogaz said Tuesday that discussions would resume Thursday.
According to Gazprom, Ukraine failed to deliver 65.3 million cubic meters of gas to consumers in Europe from Jan 1-4, and the Russian gas monopoly demanded that Kiev make up the shortfall.
A Gazprom official said Wednesday that Ukraine had stolen another 21 million cubic meters of gas.
“In the past 24 hours under the pretext of technical requirements Naftogaz has stolen 21 million cubic meters more gas intended for delivery to Europe,” Sergei Kupriyanov said on a TV channel.
“In these conditions we have no choice but to reduce deliveries by 21 million cubic meters.”
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Russian gas deliveries to Turkey, Balkan states halted (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Ukraine refuses to transit gas for Europe: Gazprom (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Gas stolen in Ukrainian transportation system: Russian firm - Jan 14, 2009
- Gazprom accuses Ukraine of blocking gas transits again - Jan 13, 2009
- Ukraine slashes Russian gas purchases for 2012 - Sep 01, 2011
- Putin proposes EU consortium to aid gas flow - Jan 16, 2009
- Ukraine denies block, says Russian gas is flowing (Lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- Russia, Ukraine sign new gas contract (Lead) - Jan 20, 2009
- Russia, Ukraine to sign new gas deal Monday, says Gazprom - Jan 18, 2009
- Russia ready to disengage liquefied gas for Japan: Putin - Mar 20, 2011
- Ukraine illegally tapped Europe-bound Russian gas: Gazprom - Jan 04, 2009
- Russian, Italian firms agree to speed up gas pipeline project - Jan 16, 2009
- US urges Ukraine, Russia to settle gas dispute - Jan 02, 2009