UK Big Brother lands in the centre of another race rowSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 3 (ANI): A big row has once more been triggered on the Big Brother show, after English actress Wendy Richard made a racist comment about 30-year-old housemate Kat Kasisopa.
Richard, 65, was on the spin off programme Big Brother’’s Little Brother, when she stated that all Orientals are the same.
I was a big fan of Kat, and we would discuss it amongst our friends and they said she is not right, the Mirror quoted her as saying.
“I looked at her through different eyes, and I have to admit they were right and I was wrong.
“She is fake, and she is very cute. What is it they say about these inscrutable Chinese? And she is Thai, but it is all Oriental isn”t it? Well it is to me anyway, she said.
When the TV audience gasped in shock, presenter George Lamb stepped in to try and salvage the situation, which could have upset many people.
I don”t think that is unique to Asian people, more to Kat, Lamb stated.
But Conservative-voter Richard just went on with her comments.
“They don”t betray their emotions on their face, that is what I meant, she added.
TV watchdogs Ofcom said that it had received a number of complaints about Richards September 1 rant.
“We will be looking into them in due course, the spokesman said.
Richard’’s spokesman Kevin Francis has defended the actress comments as having been misinterpreted.
“Wendy would have not intended the comments that way, she is not racist at all, he said.
“To be very honest with you, I think it has been blown out of all proportion, he added. (ANI)
- Wendy Richards Big Brother race row coming back to haunt her - Sep 04, 2008
- Racism row again hits an Indian on 'Big Brother' - Jul 11, 2012
- Bullock's ex-hubby determined to marry Kat Von - Jun 20, 2011
- Cheryl Cole to host new 'Big Brother'? - Apr 01, 2011
- Winona Ryder claims Mel Gibson is anti-Semitic and homophobic - Dec 16, 2010
- Big Brother in new racism row over Indian - Jul 10, 2009
- Mumbai terror attack inspirer Naik spreading 'hate messages' via satellite TV in UK - Feb 12, 2011
- Wendi wins Chinese bloggers' hearts, fending Murdoch - Jul 20, 2011
- Big Brother in another racism row - Jul 10, 2009
- Fake account of Murdoch's wife Wendi Deng fools Twitter - Jan 04, 2012
- Jesse James cheated on me with 19 women: Kat Von D - Nov 15, 2011
- I would forgive Kat if she cheats: Jesse James - May 07, 2011
- Shilpa Shetty offers prayers to Lord Ganesha - Aug 30, 2009
- US judge apologises over racist Obama email - Mar 02, 2012
- Sara Khan And Ali Merchant Split: Is It Yet Another Drama? - Dec 23, 2010