UID used to make rural employment payments in JharkandFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Wednesday said the Unique Identification number(UID) was being used for making payments under rural employment guarantee schemes in Jharkand to cut delay in payments.
The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme(MGNREGA) was the biggest customer of the UID project.
Talking to reporters, Ramesh said the ministry was keen on steps to curb the delay in payments to beneficiaries of MGNREGA. He said UID had been used in MGNREGA payments in Jharkhand and the “results have been positive.”
The minister said MGNREGA beneficiaries get payment through banking correspondents in about 10 minutes through micro-ATM (automated teller machine) using the UID number.
“He (the worker) gets the payment on the spot through micro-ATM (automated teller machine),” Ramesh said.
Ministry officials said that about 80 percent of MGNREGA payments were made through banks and post offices for which 100 million accounts had been opened.
In 2010-11, nearly 55 million families were provided 2500 million person-days of work under MGNREGA.
Indo-Asian News Service
- Ramesh rejects Pawar's suggestion on rural jobs - Feb 22, 2012
- Tripura provides most jobs under NREGA - Dec 10, 2011
- Tripura tops in average employment under rural jobs scheme - Mar 29, 2012
- No loan recovery from NREGA wages, Haryana warns banks - Oct 11, 2010
- Delayed wage payments hit rural job scheme: minister - Nov 15, 2011
- 'Pay subsidies directly to beneficiaries to plug leaks' - Feb 24, 2012
- IT to make job guarantee scheme more transparent - Aug 21, 2010
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Aadhaar to pilot pensions, wages in 50 districts, says Ramesh - Jul 01, 2012
- 'Rural jobs scheme should have off period during agriculture season' - Mar 20, 2012
- Bengal unhappy with inadequate MGNREGA wage hike - Mar 29, 2012
- Jharkhand spent only 38 percent of job scheme funds - Dec 14, 2011
- 'MGNREGA 2.0' with 30 new works launched - May 08, 2012
- PM concerned over delayed NREGA wages, Sonia suggests reforms (second lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Each Unique ID number costs Rs.100: Nilekani - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: 100 million, asian news, atm automated teller machine, automated teller machine, beneficiaries, correspondents, development minister, guarantee scheme, indo, jairam ramesh, jharkhand, mahatma gandhi, ministry officials, New Delhi, news service, person days, post offices, rural development, tb, uid number