Uganda’s oil reserves could reach six billion barrels: ReportAugust 28th, 2009 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kampala, Aug 28 (DPA) Uganda’s recently discovered oil reserves now stand at two billion barrels but may exceed six billion barrels as exploration continues, a government newspaper reported Friday.
International firms have invested millions of dollars in the East African country, where they began exploration activities in the western and north-western region early this decade.
“Out of the 34 wells drilled, 32 have encountered oil and/or gas,” Friday’s edition of The New Vision newspaper quoted a senior geologist in the energy ministry as saying. “The total proved reserves might reach six billion barrels or more.”
Commercially viable reserves were first discovered in 2006 in the region along the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo and initial production was planned by the end of this year.
If the projections prove to be accurate, Uganda would be catapulted into the top echelons of Africa’s oil producers, possibly even surpassing Sudan - currently the third-largest producer - in terms of reserves.
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- Bangladesh discovers 137 mn barrels of oil - May 20, 2012
- India to step up oil, gas imports from Africa - Dec 09, 2011
- 'Indian oil investments in both Sudans safe' - Apr 04, 2012
- Firms keen on JVs for oil, gas exploration in Africa: Reddy - Dec 09, 2011
- Indian company drills second oil well in Sri Lanka - Oct 22, 2011
- Iraq signs gas deal with Pakistani energy firm - Jul 16, 2012
- Colombian oil company to invest $8.48 bn in 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Bangladesh discovers gas field with huge reserves - Sep 26, 2010
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
- Sudan ready for talks with South Sudan: Russia - May 01, 2012
- China's to drill in South China Sea - May 07, 2012
- Brazilian firm announces new deepwater oil find - Apr 30, 2011
- 70 feared dead in boat accident in Uganda - Aug 02, 2010
- Large oilfield discovered in Afghanistan - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: africa, decade, democratic republic of congo, dpa, east african country, echelons, energy ministry, exploration activities, geologist, initial production, kampala, new vision, oil producers, oil reserves, proved reserves, republic of congo, six billion, sudan, uganda