UBI to extend banking services in 1,612 Bengal villagesJuly 21st, 2012 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 20 (IANS) State-run United Bank of India (UBI) will extend banking services to 1,612 villages of West Bengal that have a population of more than 2,000 by March 2013, a top bank official said Friday.
The state has a total of 7,484 villages with more than 2,000 population.
“In the first phase, we had reached out to 1,106 villages during the last financial year. We will extend banking services in another 412 villages by September this year,” UBI chairman and managing director Bhaskar Sen said during an interactive session, organised by MCC Chamber of Commerce and Industry here.
Sen said the Kolkata-based bank has a target of covering additional 1,200 villages in the third phase by March next year.
Public sector banks either open brick and mortar branches or use business correspondents to reach out to unbanked villages.
Sen said low credit-deposit ratio (CDR) in West Bengal is a very “sensitive issue” and a State Level Bankers’ Committee has formed a sub-committee to look into it.
“A SLBC sub-committee has been formed in West Bengal to look into the different issues. The committee has already discussed at length about it. It is working on this,” he said.
Low CDR in the state, as compared to other states, has been a matter of long-term concern. It was around 65 percent in March, 2011 against the national average of 76.3 percent.
- RBI governor asks for more banks in rural Kashmir - Mar 21, 2012
- 72,000 more villages to get banking services by 2012 - Feb 06, 2011
- RBI cautions investors against illegal finance companies - Jan 07, 2012
- Tripura Gramin Bank posts profit for 10th year in row - Dec 22, 2010
- Bengal's credit-deposit ratio to surpass national average: Mitra - Sep 17, 2012
- Financial inclusion to get more focus: RBI governor - May 18, 2011
- Banking services to all Indians by next year: RBI - Mar 26, 2011
- UBI proposal for India-Myanmar trade - Mar 19, 2012
- Rs.475,000 crore crop loan target to be surpassed: Pranab - Nov 08, 2011
- RBI wants banks to serve villages, says official - Sep 28, 2010
- United Bank of India expects better credit demand from Q3 - Sep 30, 2010
- Hike in Bengal's credit-deposit ratio linked to investments - Dec 09, 2011
- RBI to open more offices in northeast - May 05, 2011
- RBI urges Bengal to recapitalise rural banks - Dec 07, 2011
- Government to expand banking, insurance services in northeast - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: bank of india, banking services, brick and mortar, business correspondents, cdr, chamber of commerce, chamber of commerce and industry, interactive session, managing director, population, public sector banks, sensitive issue, target, united bank, united bank of india, west bengal