Two US firms selected for number portability servicesMarch 9th, 2009 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has selected two US-based companies - Telcordia Technologies and Syniverse Technologies - to provide mobile number portability (MNP) services in India, a government spokesperson said Monday.
MNP once implemented will enable mobile phone users to change their telecom operators while retaining their mobile phone number.
Syniverse later said in a statement that it has received letter of intent (LoI) from the DoT for implementing MNP services.
“Syniverse has been awarded a letter of intent to provide India’s telecommunications operators with number portability clearing house and centralised database solutions for the next 10 years,” the company said.
The DoT has divided the country into two geographic zones for the effective implementation if the MNP services.
Each zone is further divided into 11 service areas that represent cities within the zone.
Syniverse will cover northern and western states including Delhi, Mumbai, Maharashtra, Gujarat, while MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India Pvt Ltd, a joint-venture including Telcordia, will roll out services in the southern and eastern states.
The MNP implementation will be initially focussed on the larger metropolitan service areas before moving into the rural locations, the company said.
- BSNL ready for mobile number portability - Sep 10, 2010
- Number portability implementation extended to Dec 31 - Sep 03, 2009
- MNP to implement number portability by September - Apr 30, 2009
- TRAI 2G pricing norms by October-end (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Telcordia bags five-year deal from Unitech Wireless - Jun 29, 2009
- Telecom regulator issues regulations for number portability - Jun 30, 2009
- Regulator seeks telecom industry's views on number portability - Jul 22, 2009
- Mobile number portability launch delayed, to start Nov 25 - Oct 31, 2010
- 2G: Companies knew date of LOIs issuance beforehand, claims witness - Mar 30, 2012
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
- Mobile number portability will be rolled out from Oct 31 - Aug 12, 2010
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- New telecom policy likely by June: Economic Survey - Mar 15, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: centralised database, clearing house, database solutions, eastern states, government spokesperson, gujarat, india pvt ltd, interconnection, letter of intent, mobile number, mobile phone number, mobile phone users, mumbai maharashtra, number portability services, service areas, syniverse technologies, telecom operators, telecom solutions, telecommunications operators, western states