Two pilots killed as small plane crashes in Punjab (Lead)October 29th, 2008 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, Oct 29 (IANS) Two pilots were killed Wednesday when a six-seater aircraft of the Punjab government crashed while landing at the Sahnewal airport near here, officials said.The King Air C-90 aircraft had taken off from Chandigarh at 10.50 a.m. on a trial flight after repairs. It crashed within minutes at Jugiana village near the airport, 20 km from here, a police official said.
Those killed were identified as pilots Manjit Singh Khokhar and K.K. Kataria, a Punjab government spokesman said here. Both were experienced pilots.
Punjab government civil aviation sources told IANS that the aircraft was not being used for some time and had been cleared for flying by the directorate general of civil aviation (DGCA) only last week after major repairs.
“It was on a trial flight from Chandigarh to Sahnewal after repairs,” said Ludhiana Deputy Commissioner Sumer Singh.
The aircraft crashed in fields near an abandoned factory in Jugiana village, officials said.
Airport sources at Chandigarh said that the aircraft was not fit for flying but the pilots were told to do a trial flight to check its flying capabilities.
The plane was apparently being made ready for flying duties of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
Badal had recently been facing flying troubles after the state government’s helicopter chartered from Pawan Hans developed a snag on several occasions. Badal was forced to travel by road at the last moment owing to a problem with the helicopter.
- Two pilots killed as plane crashes in Punjab, probe ordered (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Sabotage ruled out as Punjab plane crash probe begins - Oct 30, 2008
- Small plane crashes in Punjab, two pilots killed - Oct 29, 2008
- Chopper crashes in Chandigarh airport, pilots injured (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Chopper crashes at Chandigarh airport, DGCA to probe (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Aircraft on a check-up flight prior to a trip of Punjab CM crashed - Oct 29, 2008
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- Helicopter crashes in Chandigarh airport, pilot injured - Dec 16, 2010
- My brother was not happy with the plane: sister of deceased pilot - Oct 30, 2008
- Killed pilot was unhappy with plane: sister (Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Arunachal MP puts Pawan Hans in dock, blames poor upkeep for crash - Apr 21, 2011
- Not resuming helicopter service in northeast: Minister - Jun 26, 2011
- Ludhiana gets air link; Congress, Akalis claim credit - May 13, 2010
- Four killed in Russian chopper crash - Jul 05, 2012