Two Indian writers among six shortlisted for 2008 Booker PrizeSeptember 9th, 2008 - 10:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 9 (ANI): Two Indian writers are among the six shortlisted novelists for the 2008 Booker Prize, according to the list of names which was released on Tuesday.
Amitav Ghosh for his Sea of Poppies and Aravind Adiga for his debut novel The White Tiger have been shortlisted.
At 34, Aravind Adiga is the youngest novelist to be shortlisted for the prize.
Australian Steve Toltz is the other debutant to be shortlisted for A Fraction of the Whole.
British writers Linda Grant and Philip Hensher were nominated for The Clothes on Their Backs and The Northern Clemency respectively.
Irishman Sebastian Barry, who was shortlisted in 2005, made it with The Secret Scripture.
Authors from India, Britain, Australia and Ireland, including two debut novelists, are among the six shortlisted for prize.
The annual Booker Prize, which is one of the most prestigious awards of the literary world, goes to the best work of fiction by an author from the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland.
The winner would receive 50,000 pounds, while all the shortlisted authors would receive 2,500 pounds and a designer bound edition of their novel.
The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony in London’’s Guildhall on October 14. (ANI)
- Indian Aravind Adiga bookies'' favourite to win 2008 Man Booker Prize - Sep 10, 2008
- Adiga bookies' favourite for Man Booker Prize - Oct 13, 2008
- Rohington Mistry shortlisted for Man Booker International Prize - Mar 30, 2011
- Rohinton Mistry shortlisted for Man Booker International Prize (Lead, correcting name in intro) - Mar 30, 2011
- Arvind Adiga wins Booker Prize with 'shocking tale' of Indian poverty (Lead) - Oct 15, 2008
- India's Aravind Adiga wins Booker for debut novel (Roundup) - Oct 15, 2008
- Rushdie, Ghosh named in 2008 Booker longlist - Jul 29, 2008
- Aravind Adiga''s `The White Tiger in Man Booker Prize 2008 shortlist - Sep 09, 2008
- Jeet Thayil's novel makes Booker Prize longlist - Jul 26, 2012
- Penguin announces Man Booker finalists - Sep 08, 2010
- Howard Jacobson Bags The Booker Prize - Oct 13, 2010
- Man Booker Prize shortlist announced - Sep 09, 2009
- US novelist Philip Roth wins Man Booker International Prize - May 18, 2011
- India's Aravind Adiga wins Man Booker Prize for White Tiger - Oct 15, 2008
- Shanghai to welcome 300 authors - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: adiga, amitav ghosh, booker prize, british writers, clemency, debut novel, guildhall, india britain, indian writers, irishman, linda grant, list of names, novelists, philip hensher, poppies, prestigious awards, republic of ireland, sebastian barry, shortlisted authors, white tiger