Two-day bank strike from WednesdayAugust 20th, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 20 (IANS) All business and commercial activities across the country are likely to be crippled as the entire banking industry employees would go on a two-day strike starting Wednesday, a banking union official said here Monday.
Over a million employees and officers of 27 public sector banks, 12 old generation private banks and eight foreign banks will take part in the strike, said All India Bank Employees Association secretary Vishwas Utagi.
Among other things, they will protest the government’s move to amend the banking laws bill, presently pending before parliament and scheduled for discussions Aug 23 and 24, Utagi said in a statement here.
“The proposed banking law amendments proposing to adversely amend the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, and Banking Companies’ Acquisition & Transfer of Undertakings Act, aimed at merger of banks, allowing private and foreign capital in banks, unrestricted voting rights and granting licences to corporate business houses to start new banks, are aimed at handing over the Indian private sector banking to multi-national banks and increasing the presence of Indian corporate and foreign direct investment in public sector banks,” Utagi said.
The outcome of these proposed measures would be closure of rural bank branches, resorting to a large number of ultra-small branches, thereby privatising rural banking operations through contractual businesses, he claimed.
The strike would also oppose outsourcing of work to outside agencies, and other “anti-labour” policies, jeopardising jobs in the banking sector and aimed at undermining the collective bargaining strength.
During the strike, bank employees here will take out a procession to Azad Maidan in support of their demands, he added.
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23 - Aug 21, 2012
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Peaceful start to general strike in Maharashtra - Feb 28, 2012
- Bank of Rajasthan staff protest merger with ICICI Bank - Jun 04, 2010
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Bank employees to strike on Sept 7 over private banks getting new licences - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: all india bank employees association, association secretary, bank branches, banking laws, banking operations, banking regulation, business houses, foreign banks, india bank employees association, indian private sector, labour policies, law amendments, maidan, national banks, private banks, public sector banks, regulation act, rural bank, transfer of undertakings, vishwas