Turkey urged by US to end gas imports from IranNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:01 am ICT by admin
He said that at a time when Iran was becoming possibly a nuclear weapons power, it did not make sense to announce long-term oil and gas deals with that country. “All countries should do their best to sanction Iran on their own, according to their own laws,” Burns said.
On a different occasion, US Undersecretary for Economic, Energy and Agricultural Affairs Reuben Jeffery III told his Turkish interlocutors that the US expected from the Turkish Government to help effectively implement the letter and spirit of two unanimous Security Council Resolutions against Iran.
He said that Turkey should look for alternative sources of gas supplies, like Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan and Iraq.
Turkey has reportedly reached agreement with Iran to develop phases 22-24 of the South Pars project, expected to cost more than $3 billion, and in return the Turkish Petroleum Company TPAO would get profits of 20% over eight to 10 years.
It should be noted that Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan on September 20 said that Turkey relied on imports from Iran and Russia and it would be “out of the question to stop imports from either country.” (ANI)
- Iran wants n-talks in Istanbul - Mar 30, 2012
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- Turkish PM warns of 'disastrous' consequence if Israel strikes Iran - Apr 01, 2012
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- Turkey objects to NATO military intervention in Libya - Mar 14, 2011
- US 'supporting' international terrorists: Turkish PM - Oct 15, 2010
- Turkey offers to dramatically increase sale of military hardware to Pak - Dec 08, 2010
- Turkish PM says they will not remain silent if Israel attacks Lebanon - Nov 26, 2010
- Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting found - Jul 05, 2012
- Turkey role model for Islamic states: Gilani - May 22, 2012
- Israeli envoy in Turkey summoned - Aug 03, 2010
- Obama's secret message: Iran can have civilian n-programme - Apr 07, 2012
- India, Iran firm up oil payment mechanism (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Ansari to go to Turkey Monday, focus on trade - Oct 08, 2011
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: 20 million dollars, agricultural affairs, burns, economic energy, gas imports, hydrocarbon sector, iran sanctions, nuclear weapons power, petroleum company, prime minister tayyip erdogan, sector risk, security council resolutions, south pars project, term oil, tpao, turkey, turkish government, turkish prime minister, turkmenistan