Tube Investments to launch electric scootersJune 12th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 12 (IANS) Tube Investments of India Ltd, part of the Rs.95.82 billion ($2.3 billion) Murugappa group, inaugurated its new electric scooter plant here Thursday. Tube Investments manufactures cycles, automotive and industrial chains, car door frames and steel tubes.
“The investment at the plant is around Rs.200 million. We will be launching the product sometime this September,” TI Cycles senior vice-president Arun Alagappan told IANS.
TI Cycles is the company’s cycle manufacturing division.
The initial capacity of the new plant will be 100 scooters a day.
He added that the battery-powered two-wheelers would be launched under the company’s popular bicycle brand, BSA.
Tube Investments will initially market the two-wheelers in south India, and based on the market responses it will be launched at national level later.
The company will appoint around 70 dealers in the Tier I and II cities in the southern region.
Initially the company will launch three low speed models, which will be priced around Rs.25,000 and two high-speed models at a market price of around Rs.36,000.
Alagappan said the company was now importing batteries and motors from China and Taiwan. But the firm had initiated talks with domestic battery makers for developing the products locally, he added.
- Metro Tyres to invest Rs.100 crore to expand production - Jul 05, 2012
- Tube Investments enters electric bike segment - Nov 10, 2008
- TI to double turnover in cycle segment - Sep 30, 2011
- BSA Motors launches largest range of eScooters in India - Nov 10, 2008
- TI Cycles launches two premium bicycles - Oct 29, 2010
- TI Cycles pedalling up the value chain - Mar 25, 2011
- BSA Motors unveils electric scooters in Delhi - Oct 06, 2009
- TI to peddle premium cycles for niche market - Jun 18, 2008
- Tube Investments to acquire Shanthi Gears for Rs.292 crore - Jul 13, 2012
- Mahindra to foray into motorcycle segment next year - Nov 04, 2009
- Hero launches hybrid concept scooter - Jan 06, 2012
- Exide to expand in two, four-wheeler batteries - Jul 21, 2011
- Vibgyor Vehicles to export two-wheelers to Africa, Nepal - Dec 21, 2010
- E-bike makers foresee big market, adopt different planks - Jun 15, 2008
- BSA Motors launches its new electric scooters at Delhi Auto Expo - Jan 08, 2010
Tags: batteries, battery makers, bicycle, car door, chennai, electric scooter, electric scooters, india ltd, industrial chains, initial capacity, low speed, murugappa group, rs 200, senior vice president, south india, speed models, steel tubes, ti cycles, tube investments, two wheelers