TRAI to float consultation paper on priority call routingNovember 8th, 2011 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) With emergencies like natural calamities or terror attacks in mind, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Tuesday said that it plans a consultation paper on priority call routing in mobile networks for people engaged in “response and recovery” work.
“In order to facilitate a mechanism wherein important functionaries engaged in ‘response and recovery’ work during emergencies get the calls on priority, TRAI is contemplating to come up with a consultation paper on ‘Priority call routing’ in telecom networks for these persons,” TRAI said in a statement.
It, meanwhile, came up with a pre-consultation paper which focuses on the network congestion issues.
The paper also makes an attempt to understand, in consultation with the stakeholders, basic minimum arrangements that can be worked out and put in place to ensure that the network congestion bottlenecks are soothed out.
According to TRAI during the July 13, 2011 Mumbai bomb blasts, congestion in the city’s cellular mobile network was reported.
TRAI has noted two main elements of communication system failure during a crisis — loss of infrastructure and; overload congestion which occurs when usage peaks to a level where systems are unable to cope.
- TRAI to release consultation paper on 4G in 10 days - May 28, 2010
- TRAI mulls paper on operators' exit policy - Jan 06, 2012
- TRAI moves in to boost equipment production - Dec 28, 2010
- TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- TRAI seeks views on spectrum for short-range communication - Dec 26, 2011
- TRAI says no need for exit policy - Apr 18, 2012
- Direct webcast of poll in Agra - Feb 19, 2012
- Older players should be invited for 2G auction: Vodafone - Feb 15, 2012
- Ensure money lent to telecom firms is given back: SBI - Feb 16, 2012
- Telecom regulator seeks views on value added services - Mar 30, 2011
- TRAI invites comments on green telecom - May 07, 2010
- Telecom operators split over call termination rate - May 30, 2011
- Maintain quality of service: TRAI to operators - Mar 26, 2012
- TRAI seeks opinion on controlling mobile phone theft - Nov 02, 2010
- No 4G spectrum auction for now: Raja - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: bomb blasts, bottlenecks, cellular mobile, consultation paper, elements of communication, elements of communication system, emergencies, infrastructure, mobile network, mobile networks, natural calamities, network congestion, New Delhi, priority, system failure, telecom networks, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, terror attacks