TRAI targets 100 mn broadband subscribers by 2014December 7th, 2010 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 7 (IANS) India’s telecom regulator Tuesday said it was targeting a 10-fold increase in broadband subscribers to 100 million by 2014.
The country has 10.29 million subscribers now. “We will have 100 million broadband subscribers by 2014,” Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) chairman J.S. Sarma said at the fifth India Digital Summit 2010 organised by the Internet and Mobile Association of India.
He said TRAI will come up with its recommendations on a national broadband plan in a day or two.
Sarma said the regulator was also planning a licensing regime for value added services (VAS).
TRAI has stated in a consultation paper that the non-availability of national broadband network to provide connectivity up to village level, non-availability of content in vernacular language and affordability of broadband were factors affecting the growth of broadband in India.
As per TRAI, the high broadband tariff in the country was due to the lack of sufficient competition.
- Rs.2.15 lakh crore collected as spectrum, licence fee - Aug 17, 2011
- TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- Ensure transparency in tariff ads, TRAI tells operators - Mar 26, 2012
- TRAI quizzes telcos on tariff hike - Aug 25, 2011
- Rahul Khullar to take charge of TRAI Monday - May 13, 2012
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- Can't stall number porting for dues of less than Rs.10: TRAI - May 25, 2011
- TRAI asks operators to offer per second-billing plan (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2012
- Telecom regulator seeks views on value added services - Mar 30, 2011
- New telecom policy to be unveiled in January - Nov 04, 2011
- TRAI regulation on unsolicited calls by October-end - Oct 19, 2010
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- Customers to pay Rs.1 more on every mobile recharge above Rs.20 - Apr 19, 2012
- TRAI sets high base price for 2G auction, operators cry foul (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Telecom firms should bar pesky calls, SMSes: TRAI - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: 100 million, affordability, broadband subscribers, consultation paper, million subscribers, national broadband network, New Delhi, regime, sarma, summit, targets, tariff, telecom regulator, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai, value added services, vernacular language