TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15February 3rd, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 3 (IANS) India’s telecom sector regulator Friday released a pre-consultation paper on allocation of airwaves in the 2G band across 22 circles by auction.
It asked all stakeholders to give their comments by Feb 15.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) move came a day after the Supreme Court scrapped 122 telecom licenses and sought fresh auction of the 2G spectrum.
The court Thursday had slammed the entire approach adopted earlier by TRAI as lopsided and said the recommendations made by it were flawed in many respects and implementation thereof by the department of telecom resulted in gross violation of the objective of national telecom policy of 1999.
The court then directed TRAI to make fresh recommendations for grant of licences and allocation of 2G band in 22 service areas by auction.
“On the issue of allocation of spectrum in 2G band in 22 service areas by auction, stakeholders have been requested to send their comments on the issues involved. Written comments are invited from the stakeholders by 15th February, 2012,” TRAI said in a statement.
“Keeping in view the time bound nature of exercise, no extension of time will be given,” it added.
Meanwhile, TRAI Chairman J.S. Sarma told a television channel that “brighter days” were ahead for the sector. Sarma said he was happy that the Supreme Court had stated that spectrum will be auctioned.
He also said that TRAI was considering the idea of spectrum liberalisation.
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- Operative parts of apex court's 2G judgment - Feb 02, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Older players should be invited for 2G auction: Vodafone - Feb 15, 2012
- 2G: PM holds meet to discuss apex court verdict fallout (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- Operative parts of apex court's 2G judgment (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Rahul Khullar to take charge of TRAI Monday - May 13, 2012
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
- Re-farming of spectrum will harm incumbents: Assocham - May 19, 2012
- TRAI recommends high base prices for 2G auction - Apr 23, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum auction issues deferred again - Jul 02, 2012
- GSM players to contest TRAI theory of minor tariff hike - May 07, 2012
- TRAI sets high base price for 2G auction, operators cry foul (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: brighter days, circles, consultation paper, gross violation, implementation, initial response, national telecom policy, New Delhi, objective, respects, sarma, service areas, spectrum auction, stakeholders, supreme court, telecom licenses, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecom sector, television channel