TRAI seeks industry view on mobile tariff capFebruary 6th, 2012 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 6 (IANS) The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Monday sought the industry’s view on whether there should be a cap on the tariffs of telecom services in the wake of many operators hiking their tariffs in the recent months.
Under the present regulatory framework, service providers have the flexibility to determine tariff for the services depending upon the market situation.
“After entry of new operators in the year 2008, the market witnessed competition in the form of reduced tariff, including introduction of innovative tariff plans such as per second billing, both from new entrants and old operators,” TRAI said in a statement.
“This phenomenon continued for few years. However, despite existence of the new entrants, by the end of December 2011, it is seen that the subscriber base of new operators remains less than 7.5 percent and the top six incumbent operators enjoy the market share of more than 80 percent in terms of subscriber base,” it added.
TRAI stated that this indicates absence of effective competition despite presence of multiple operators in each service area.
The stakeholders are expected to send their comments by Feb 24 and counter-comments by March 2.
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- TRAI asks operators to offer per second-billing plan (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2012
- TRAI seeks views on spectrum for short-range communication - Dec 26, 2011
- 'Lifetime plans should be offered till telecom permit allows' - Sep 05, 2012
- Telecom tariffs may rise by 90 paise in metros: Study - May 22, 2012
- Telcos can fix call tariff depending on market conditions - Aug 26, 2011
- TRAI mulls paper on operators' exit policy - Jan 06, 2012
- Rs.2.15 lakh crore collected as spectrum, licence fee - Aug 17, 2011
- Robust growth in telecom amid shadow of 2G case (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2011
- Customers to pay Rs.1 more on every mobile recharge above Rs.20 - Apr 19, 2012
- TRAI moves in to boost equipment production - Dec 28, 2010
- TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- Uninor to file interim application in Supreme Court - May 01, 2012
- Telecom Commission seeks clarity on TRAI proposals - Apr 30, 2012
- Spectrum shift to put additional Rs.10,000 crore cost on Vodafone - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: absence, existence, flexibility, framework service, incumbent operators, market share, market situation, New Delhi, phenomenon, presence, regulatory framework, service providers, stakeholders, subscriber base, tariff, tariffs, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecom services