Tragedy averted in Mumbai harbourMarch 23rd, 2011 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 22 (IANS) A tragedy was averted in Mumbai harbour last week when ill-fated container cargo ship MSC Chitra - which had partly sunk in August last year after a collision - again broke loose from its moorings but was soon recovered, a maritime authority said here Tuesday evening.
The MSC Chitra, bearing a Panama flag, had collided with MV Khalijia-III of St. Kitts and Nevis when it was sailing out of the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust on Aug 7 last year.
According to the director-general of shipping (DGS) Tuesday, MSC Chitra, which had partly sunk and settled on a shallow patch in the main shipping navigation channel, was re-floated around two weeks ago by international salvers appointed by its owners.
On Saturday, on account of the strong full moon high tide, its anchor wires split.
The salvers managed to manoeuvre it safely out of the Mumbai Port without causing damage to any other vessels or blocking the busy navigation channel.
- Tragedy averted in Mumbai harbour (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Navy to stop escorting ships in Mumbai harbour from Monday - Aug 22, 2010
- Indian Navy makes Mumbai harbour safe post collision - Sep 01, 2010
- Efforts on to combat oil spill hazards off Mumbai - Aug 10, 2010
- Oil pollution sighted in Thane after ship collision leak - Aug 14, 2010
- 10 days after ship collision, maritime traffic improves - Aug 17, 2010
- Barge to unload containers from beleaguered ship from Saturday - Aug 26, 2010
- Navy launches survey of Mumbai harbour shipping channel - Aug 11, 2010
- 300 chemical canisters detected in Arabian Sea off Mumbai - Aug 18, 2010
- Efforts on to check worst oil spill in Arabian Sea (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- No more oil spill off Mumbai coast: Jairam Ramesh - Aug 10, 2010
- Ship collision: Efforts to contain oil spill in Mumbai harbour - Aug 08, 2010
- Skeletal maritime activity resumes after ship-collision - Aug 12, 2010
- Efforts on to check oil spill spreading along Konkan coast - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: anchor, chitra, container cargo ship, full moon, high tide, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru port, jawaharlal nehru port trust, kitts and nevis, maritime authority, moorings, msc, mumbai port, mv, navigation channel, panama flag, salvers, st kitts and nevis, tragedy, tuesday evening