Traders protest businessman’s killing in PatnaJune 13th, 2009 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 13 (IANS) Hundreds of angry traders took to the streets and disrupted traffic here Saturday to protest the killing of a businessman by alleged extortionists, police said.
The traders blocked the busy Ashok Rajpath road and burnt tyres, to protest the killing of Santosh Kumar Tekriwal by motorcycle-borne assailants late Friday.
The traders decided to keep the markets closed.
Tekriwal, in his early 40s, owned Azad Transport that has over 50 trucks and offices across the country.
“Eye witnesses said two motorcycle-borne assailants overtook his (Tekriwal’s) car and fired at him from close range at Rajendra Nagar. He died on the spot,” Patna Superintendent of Police Anwar Hussain said.
The Patna Vyapar Mandal (business community) condemned the incident and called for immediate arrest of the assailants.
A family member of Tekriwal said the criminals had demanded extortion from him. Police too have not ruled out the possibility of extortion behind the killing.
Early this month, Kundan Sony and Chandan Sony, brothers and owners of Sony jewellery shop, were shot dead by unidentified assailants in Begusarai, 125 km from here.
- Protests in Bihar town after jewellers' killing - Jun 02, 2009
- National highway blocked to protest lawyer's killing - Feb 16, 2011
- Grenade attack on Karachi departmental store - Jul 29, 2012
- Patna residents protest businessman's killing - Mar 18, 2010
- Two jewellers shot dead, traders on rampage in Faizabad - Aug 03, 2011
- Businessman shot in Ghaziabad - Feb 03, 2012
- Uproar in Nepal after gunmen kill Indian trader - Apr 11, 2011
- Pakistani school teacher gunned down in Quetta (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Man shot dead resisting robbery - Feb 01, 2011
- UP jewellers protest duty hike - Mar 31, 2012
- Abducted man's skeleton found in Bihar - Jun 08, 2011
- Another man killed by criminals in Patna - May 25, 2011
- Dey murder accused remanded to police custody (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- BJP leader shot dead in Kanpur - Jul 16, 2011
- Indian trader's killing causes uproar in Nepal (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: 40s, anwar, ashok, business community, businessman, chandan, close range, criminals, extortion, eye witnesses, family member, hussain, jewellery shop, motorcycle, protest, sony, superintendent, trucks, tyres, unidentified assailants