Trade union strike: Normal life hit in OdishaFebruary 28th, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 28 (IANS) Normal life was disrupted across Odisha Tuesday as a large number of vehicles went off the roads and movement of several trains and private transport was halted due to the country-wide strike launched by various trade unions.
In the state capital Bhubaneswar, thousands of protestors came out in a massive rally and demonstrated outside the office of the East Coast Railway.
The protestors also squatted on the roads and railway tracks and burnt tyres in different places of the state. In steel city of Rourkela, protestors shut down different banks and central government offices.
“There have been no untoward incidents have been reported from any parts of the state. The protests were peaceful,” an official of the state police headquarter at Cuttack, about 25 km from here, told IANS.
Banks, offices of the insurance companies, central government offices and patrol pumps were found shut at several places.
The strike, which has secured the support of around 5000 unions affiliated to all the major trade unions cutting across party lines, is to protest price rise, corruption, violation of labour rights, free market policies and disinvestment which would result in loss of jobs.
The unions are also demanding a social security net for all unorganised sector workers by creating a national social security fund, enforcement of basic labour laws and stringent punitive action against violators.
- Labour strike to cripple key sectors of Indian economy (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Peaceful start to general strike in Maharashtra - Feb 28, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha - Sep 20, 2012
- Labour strike to paralyse banking, transport services Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Nationwide trade union strike begins, to hit key sectors - Feb 28, 2012
- Banking sector bears brunt of strike - Feb 28, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Partial response to strike; banking, transport hit (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Trade unions' strike hits life, businesses in Orissa - Sep 07, 2010
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Few people on road, trains affected in Bengal - Feb 28, 2012
- Odisha traders down shutters against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: bhubaneswar, central government offices, cuttack, different places, disinvestment, east coast railway, free market policies, insurance companies, labour laws, labour rights, massive rally, national social security, private transport, protestors, punitive action, sector workers, social security fund, steel city, trade unions, unorganised sector