Trade between India-Pakistan through Wagah border touches 31 million dollarsFebruary 18th, 2009 - 7:40 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Feb.18 (ANI): Notwithstanding the recent tension between India and Pakistan, trade through the Wagah was on an upswing between July 2008 and January 2009 as Pakistan imported goods worth 31 million dollars from India during this period.
Last year, the import of goods was worth 20 million dollars in the same period.
Pakistan mainly imports fruits and vegetables through the Wagah border such as tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, cotton, maize, and meat products.
According to data published in The News, Pakistan imported about six million dollars worth of tomatoes (31,354 tonnes). Besides that, 322 tonnes of meat, 88,485 tonnes of potatoes, 6,997 tonnes of cotton and 1,745 tonnes of maize were also imported.
In the last fiscal, tomato import totaled 110,038 tonnes, onion 12,651 tonnes, meat 4,570 tonnes, potato 1,243 tonnes, cotton 1,921 tonnes, maize 7,100 tonnes.
Pakistan does not export any goods to India due to non-tariff barriers imposed by New Delhi.
Pakistani traders earn a handsome profit in the season when there is scarcity of vegetables, by selling imported Indian vegetables.
Pakistani traders import some seasonal vegetables through India when these are scarce as they get good price during scarcity, the newspaper quoted a Pakistani trader, Imran, as saying. (ANI)
- Pakistani onions arriving to wipe tears in India - Dec 21, 2010
- India expecting 50 truckloads of onion from Pakistan Friday - Dec 24, 2010
- Pakistan floods hit crucial crops - Oct 08, 2011
- 45 truckloads of onions arrived from Pakistan Friday - Dec 24, 2010
- 34 trucks of onions reach India from Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Tomatoes join high-priced onions, more supplies come from Pakistan (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- Pakistani onions poor, claim Chandigarh wholesalers - Dec 25, 2010
- Punjab traders stop sending tomatoes, vegetables to Pakistan - Jan 07, 2011
- Government assures on prices as food inflation zooms to double-digits (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2010
- Punjab traders resume vegetable export to Pakistan - Jan 08, 2011
- 34 truckloads of onions arrive from Pakistan - Dec 23, 2010
- Onion prices may soar as Pakistan bans export via road, rail (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Onion prices may soar as Pakistan bans export via border - Jan 06, 2011
- Onion prices decline following raids on godowns in UP - Jan 08, 2011
- Now other vegetables join onions, eggs to send inflation soaring (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: 20 million dollars, 31 million, fruits and vegetables, handsome profit, imran, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian vegetables, maize, meat products, news pakistan, onions, pakistan trade, potatoes, scarcity, seasonal vegetables, tariff barriers, tonnes, upswing, wagah border