Trade between India, Japan set to rise: EnvoyJuly 10th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) The comprehensive economic partnership agreement (CEPA) between India and Japan will significantly increase bilateral trade and investment, the Japanese ambassador to India said Sunday.
“The economic partnership agreement comes into force on August 1. This will significantly increase trade and investment between the two countries,” ambassador Akitaka Saiki told reporters on the sidelines of an event here.
According to the envoy, trade volumes between the countries was expected to be doubled as a result of the agreement. Investments in crucial infrastructure and government backed projects too are set to get a boost, he added.
Currently, exports from India to Japan are 2.2 percent of India’s entire exports, while exports from Japan to India stood at 0.9 percent of Japan’s total exports.
Saiki was speaking at a Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) event to promote new and innovative techniques in the manufacturing sector.
The envoy noted that manufacturing through small and medium enterprises (SME) sector was crucial for India’s development.
“The growth of the SME sector will be key for the credible, viable and efficient growth of the Indian economy as in Japan, where over 90 percent companies supporting the Japanese economy are SMEs,” he said.
Saiki’s views were corroborated by CII director general Chandrajit Banerjee.
“SMEs’ role is critical for the growth of Indian manufacturing in light of India becoming a manufacturing hub and to accommodate millions of new entrants in the workforce every year,” Banerjee said.
- India-Japanese economic pact by August: Ambassador - Jun 03, 2011
- Infrastructure development key to attracting investments: Envoy - Jul 11, 2011
- Japan hopes Tamil Nadu will go ahead with metro rail project - Jun 16, 2011
- 'India, Canada trade to touch $15 billion by 2015' (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Canada seeks Indian investment in oil exploration - Jul 26, 2011
- Unlike China, red tape slows Indian manufacturing: expert - Jul 17, 2011
- Trade ties with India to be strengthened: Japanese minister - Jan 22, 2011
- India, Japan signs CEPA to boost trade - Feb 16, 2011
- India's SMEs welcome 100 percent FDI in single-brand retail - Jan 27, 2012
- India, Japan implement economic pact; aim to double trade (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- India, Japan close to nuke deal; to ink trade deal in February (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Japanese business keen to invest in Bengal: Ambassador - Jun 04, 2011
- Japanese firms to increase investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 25, 2012
- India, US launch SME forum to create jobs - Sep 22, 2010
- India-Japan economic pact comes into force - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: august 1, bilateral trade, cepa, confederation of indian industries, economic partnership agreement, hub, indian economy, infrastructure, investments, japan, japanese ambassador, japanese economy, light of india, manufacturing sector, New Delhi, saiki, sidelines, small and medium enterprises, trade volumes, workforce