Tractor sales to pick up from October: EscortsSeptember 5th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 5 (IANS) Tractor sales, which have been flat for about six months due to a delayed monsoon, are expected to pick up from October following recent rains, agri-machinery maker Escorts said Wednesday.
“If you look at total tractor market size, there has been a temporary slowdown in the market because of the delayed monsoon. More or less on an average, India has had a flat tractor market over the last six to seven months,” Escorts Agri Machinery marketing head Shenu Agarwal told reporters here.
“But as the situation is improving and we are seeing rains now, the water level is coming up. Now the sentiments (of the farmers) are up. So we think that the situation will change soon. The market should go back to normal 8-10 percent growth level from October,” Agarwal observed.
At present, the total size of the tractor market in India is about 5.30 lakh units.
Agarwal said the tractor market would witness a “temporary slowdown” if the government goes ahead with a diesel price hike.
“It (diesel price hike) will affect sales if the government decides to hike diesel prices or remove subsidies to some extent. However, we think that it will be a temporary slowdown as the farmers will have to have tractors. There is no alternatives,” he said.
“The input cost will go up (if fuel prices rise) and therefore it is up to the companies to further improve fuel efficiency of engines so that the customers do not feel the pinch,” he said.
- Escorts focuses on Africa to export tractors - Sep 05, 2012
- Escorts ploughs deep in premium tractor segment - May 17, 2012
- Interest rates, fuel hikes dampen automobile sales in May: SIAM - Jun 09, 2011
- Escorts registers 21 percent sales growth - Jan 15, 2010
- Agro Tech showcases ultra modern farm equipment - Dec 02, 2008
- Sales slowdown for auto companies in May (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Diesel cars guzzling 40 percent of segment's fuel: CSE - Jan 25, 2012
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Diesel, kerosene and cooking gas price hiked; common man, opposition angry (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2011
- Decision on fuel prices deferred, CCPA meet postponed - Sep 11, 2012
- Sliding car sales may reverse in March-April 2012: Automakers - Nov 21, 2011
- SUV owners should not drive on subsidised diesel: Ramesh - Nov 30, 2010
- Petrol price to be cut if global crude prices slip further: Minister - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: diesel price hike, diesel prices, extent, farmers, fuel efficiency, fuel prices, India, lakh units, marketing, monsoon, normal 8, sentiments, seven months, six months, slowdown, subsidies, tractor market, tractor sales, tractors, water level