Toyota’s second plant in India to make small carsApril 11th, 2008 - 6:10 pm ICT by admin
Bangalore, April 11 (IANS) Japanese auto major Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) will build a second plant near India’s silicon hub to roll out small cars and expand its production capacity for other passenger vehicles, the company’s Indian subsidiary said here Friday. With an investment of Rs.14 billion ($350 million), the second plant will come up near its present facility at Bidadi, about 30 km from here, and commence operations in 2010 with an initial production capacity of 100,000 vehicles per annum, TMC’s subsidiary Toyota Kirloskar Motor Ltd (TKML) said in a statement.
“We are building the second plant to manufacture a new strategic small car and ramp up production of Corolla and multi-utility vehicle Innova to meet the growing needs of Indian customers. We also plan to use the new plant for exporting products to global markets,” TKML managing director Hiroshi Nakagawa said.
The company plans to have high level of localisation for the small car by procuring several components and sub-systems from Indian vendors.
“Our expansion plan is aimed at developing the Indian automobile industry and creating more jobs to benefit the economy,” Nakagawa added.
TKML had set up the first plant in 1999 on the Bangalore-Mysore expressway to roll out a multi-utility vehicle Qualis during the first five years of operations. It phased out Qualis and introduced Innova in 2005. It also began assembling other passenger cars in the luxury segment such as Camry, Corolla and Prado - a sports utility vehicle.
The installed production capacity was expanded to 63,000 units per annum in 2006. It currently employs about 2800 people.
TMC holds 89 percent of the equity in TKML, with the balance 11 percent owned by the Pune-based Kirloskar group.
- Toyota investing Rs.500 cr for engine plant in India - Jul 06, 2010
- Karnataka gives tax sops to Toyota's second car plant - Jun 23, 2011
- Toyota to roll out compact car Etios early 2011 - Jun 04, 2010
- Toyota to invest Rs.8 bn more in India plant - Jun 24, 2009
- Toyota to invest Rs.900 crore to raise production - Sep 06, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar to roll out more cars, components - Jul 27, 2011
- Toyota to reduce production in India - Apr 22, 2011
- Toyota forges ahead, Ford goes on the reverse in July - Aug 01, 2012
- Toyota aims to sell 70,000 units of Etios models in 2011 - Dec 06, 2010
- Toyota's second production unit in India to be ready by Dec - Aug 29, 2010
- Toyota Kirloskar to raise production by 60,000 units - Mar 16, 2011
- Toyota Kirloskar's July sales up 99 percent - Aug 01, 2011
- Toyota's August sales up 84 percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Toyota launches diesel variant of Liva and Etios Liva - Sep 09, 2011
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor ships cars to South Africa - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: camry corolla, expansion plan, first five years, hiroshi nakagawa, indian automobile industry, indian customers, indian subsidiary, initial production capacity, japanese auto, luxury segment, passenger cars, passenger vehicles, qualis, small car, small cars, sports utility vehicle, toyota kirloskar motor, toyota kirloskar motor ltd, toyota motor, toyota motor corporation