Toyota September 2009 recall due to faulty floor-matSeptember 30th, 2009 - 11:39 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Sep 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Toyota has done it again. It is again going to voluntarily recall back, around 4 million of its vehicles due to its faulty floor-mat design that can trap the gas pedal and cause accidents too. This latest recall is being termed as the Toyota September 2009 recall.
Sources say, that a fatal crash involving a family of four in a September 2009 Lexus ES 350 last month near Los Angeles is believed to have been the source for the latest recall. Before the fatal crash happened, the driver called the police to say that the accelerator was stuck.
Toyota and the government warned owners of Toyota and Lexus vehicles about safety problems tied to the removable floor mats. This September 2009 recall will affect 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.
As Toyota put it in its official statement, “Recent events have prompted Toyota to take a closer look at the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mat. A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death.
“This is an urgent matter,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a NHTSA statement. “For everyone’s sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration.” If the floor mat cannot be removed, Toyota advised drivers to firmly step on the brake pedal with both feet and shift the transmission to neutral position or turn the engine off if the gear does not shift.
- Toyota recalls 3.8 million vehicles over gas-pedal issue - Nov 26, 2009
- Toyota recalls 4 million vehicles over problematic floor-mat - Sep 30, 2009
- Toyota to recall vehicles for undercarriage rust issues - Dec 01, 2009
- Toyota recalls 420,000 vehicles in the United States - Nov 10, 2011
- Toyota recalls 2.3 million vehicles over accelerator pedal problems - Jan 22, 2010
- Toyota floor mat 2009 recall still to start - Oct 09, 2009
- Is your Toyota car on the recall list? - Jan 29, 2010
- Toyota Recalls Cars Over Loose Floor Mats - Oct 01, 2009
- Toyota to recall over two mn vehicles in US - Feb 25, 2011
- Toyota to recall 13,000 cars in South Korea - Apr 06, 2010
- Toyota recalls over 300,000 vehicles to replace airbag sensor - Apr 22, 2011
- Gas Pedal Issues In Ford Vehicles - Jun 02, 2010
- Toyota fixing leaky hoses in over 1.6 mn vehicles - Mar 02, 2010
- Toyota to recall Lexus LS460 over engine problem - Jul 01, 2010
- Toyota forced to announce another recall after the runaway Pruis episode in San Diego - Mar 10, 2010
Tags: accelerator pedal, cause accidents, fatal crash, floor mat, is350, lexus es 350, lexus es350, lexus is250, lexus vehicles, mat design, nhtsa, ray lahood, toyota avalon, toyota camry, toyota camry 2005, toyota prius, toyota tundra, toyota tundra 2007, urgent matter, vehicle speeds