Toyota launches made for India sedan EtiosDecember 1st, 2010 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Dec 1 (IANS) Toyota Kirloskar Motor launched its Etios sedan here Wednesday, marking the company’s entry into the highly competitive ‘B segment’ or mid-segment car market in India.
The Etios, priced between Rs.496,000 and Rs.686,500 (ex-showroom Delhi), has been developed specifically for the Indian customers with the slogan ‘World First, India First, My First’, the company said.
The bookings for the Etios sedan started Wednesday and deliveries would begin in January 2011.
The company has roped in music wizard A.R. Rahman as its brand ambassador for Etios.
“Innovative styling, best-in-class cabin and luggage space, superior comfort and impressive fuel efficiency” are the highlights of Etios, it said.
The company also announced that the hatchback version has been named ‘Etios Liva’ and would go on sale in April 2011.
The Etios sedan was launched by Akio Toyoda, Toyota Motor Corporation president and scion of Toyota’s founding family.
This is his first visit to India after becoming the head of the company.
Vikram Kirloskar, vice-chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motors (TKM), was present at the launch.
“India is a key market for our overall strategic growth plans, and the launch of the Etios is definitely a milestone not only for Toyota in India but for Toyota globally,” Toyoda said.
He said: “Etios is a product of real-world testing on roads across India. Our testing has covered a hundred thousand kilometres on every kind of road that Indian drivers encounter, from Kolkata to Mumbai, from the Himalayan foothills to the tip of the Indian peninsula.”
Hiroshi Nakagawa, managing director of TKM, said: “The Etios is very important to us, and its launch today marks the beginning of a new era for Toyota in India.”
Yoshinori Noritake, chief engineer of the Etios, said: “More than 2,000 engineers from Japan and India worked in close collaboration over the last four years with a vision to offer Etios customers the ‘joy of ownership’ and ‘quality of life’.”
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor ships cars to South Africa - Apr 04, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar's 2010 sales up 38 percent - Jan 01, 2011
- Toyota launches diesel variant of Liva and Etios Liva - Sep 09, 2011
- Toyota Kirloskar defers Liva launch - Mar 04, 2011
- Toyata launches seventh generation Camry - Aug 24, 2012
- Toyota launches Etios sedan in India, hatchback to follow in April 2011 - Dec 01, 2010
- Toyota aims to sell 70,000 units of Etios models in 2011 - Dec 06, 2010
- Toyota launches hatchback car Etios Liva - Jun 27, 2011
- Toyota to resume full-scale production by May 20 - May 16, 2011
- Toyota to reduce production in India - Apr 22, 2011
- Toyota signs up AR Rahman as brand ambassador for Etios - Oct 15, 2010
- Toyota to roll out compact car Etios early 2011 - Jun 04, 2010
- Toyota Kirloskar to roll out more cars, components - Jul 27, 2011
- Toyota launches diesel version of Corolla Altis - Jul 21, 2010
- Toyota Kirloskar's July sales up 99 percent - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: akio toyoda, car market, chief engineer, fuel efficiency, himalayan foothills, hiroshi nakagawa, hundred thousand, indian customers, indian peninsula, kolkata, launch, liva, luggage space, music wizard, tkm, toyota kirloskar motor, toyota kirloskar motors, toyota motor, toyota motor corporation, yoshinori