Toyota forges ahead, Ford goes on the reverse in JulyAugust 1st, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 1 (IANS) Powered by its utility vehicle models Innova and Fortuner, Japanese-Indian joint venture Toyota Kirloskar Motor clocked seven percent sales growth last month.
In a statement Wednesday, Toyota Kirloskar said it sold 14,574 units last month, up from 13,592 units sold in July 2011.
“We have registered a growth this month based on the strength of Innova and Fortuner sales. The Innova and Fortuner sales continue to grow with the increase in production. There has been a drop in sales of the Etios series, as we exported 1,488 units to South Africa,” Sandeep Singh, deputy managing director (Marketing), was quoted as saying in the statement.
Toyota Kirloskar sold 6,678 Innovas and 1,316 Fortuners last month as against 4,816 Innovas and 1,060 Fortuners sold during July 2011.
The company’s Etios series sold 6,024 units as compared to 6,646 units in the corresponding month last year. Corolla Altis sold 540 units last month.
On the other hand, Ford India, the Indian subsidiary of the US auto major Ford Motor Company, experienced negative sales last month.
Ford India sold 8,323 units (domestic 6,236 units, exports 2,087 units) last month against 10,696 units (domestic 7,504 units, exports 3,192 units) logged during July 2011.
“We believe the difficult market situation will ultimately recede in the long run and are confident of meeting the increased demand for cars in the festive period with our expanded capacity in engines,” said Michael Boneham, president and managing director, Ford India.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- In a subdued auto market, Asian companies log growth in July (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar's July sales up 99 percent - Aug 01, 2011
- Toyota Kirloskar, Nissan Motor India sales up in May - Jun 01, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar closes August with 20 percent sales growth - Sep 01, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar logs 79 percent sales growth - Mar 01, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar logs 49 percent sales growth - May 01, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar logs 22 percent sales growth - Jul 01, 2012
- Toyota Kirloskar logs 87 percent sales growth in March - Apr 02, 2012
- Toyota's August sales up 84 percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Interest rates, fuel hikes dampen automobile sales in June (Roundup) - Jul 01, 2011
- Toyota's December sales up 151 percent - Jan 01, 2012
- Yen appreciation is a concern: Toyota Kirloskar - Jul 01, 2011
- India's car makers begin 2011 with impressive sales growth - Feb 01, 2011
- Auto industry posts good sales despite bleak sentiment (Roundup) - Oct 01, 2011
- Auto sales stay on pace in April (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
Tags: asian news, chennai, corolla, corolla altis, director marketing, festive period, ford india, ford motor, ford motor company, forges, indian subsidiary, innova, innovas, managing director, market situation, sandeep singh, srj, toyota kirloskar motor, vehicle models, vj