Toyota cuts sales target in IndonesiaNovember 8th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Nov 8 (IANS) Indonesia’s largest automobile producer, PT Toyota Astra-Motor (TAM), dropped its sales forecast this year after a flood in Thailand disrupted its supply of complete built-up units (CBU) and components, an official said.
Jakarta Post quoted TAM President Director Johny Darmawan as saying Tuesday that the company had slashed its sales target by 4.5 percent to 315,000 units because of the shortage from Thailand — a regional production hub for leading automakers including Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi.
Toyota sources various auto parts from Thailand, including rear view mirrors and seat belts, but also imports several types of CBU, which contribute between 10 and 15 percent of its total local sales, reported Xinhua.
“Earlier, we aimed to sell 305,000 units, but increased this target in September to 330,000 units due to large quantities of supplies. However, the continuing floods forced us to revise our target,” Darmawan said.
Despite the supply disruption resulting from the floods in Thailand, the company could not yet confirm plans to relocate its plants to Indonesia, he said.
“Indonesia has great potential to become Toyota’s investment destination in the future, because we have the largest population (in Southeast Asia). But, it all now depends on the government, on the regulations and infrastructure,” Darmawan said.
- Toyota plans to make Indonesia its production base - Sep 13, 2011
- Budget impact: Toyota Kirloskar to increase prices - Mar 16, 2012
- Toyota's December sales up 151 percent - Jan 01, 2012
- Indonesia considering import of 500,000 tonnes rice from India - Nov 04, 2011
- Honda to build fourth motorcycle plant in Indonesia - Mar 14, 2012
- Yen appreciation is a concern: Toyota Kirloskar - Jul 01, 2011
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Toyata launches seventh generation Camry - Aug 24, 2012
- GM may replace production-hit Toyota as No 1 automaker - Apr 23, 2011
- Toyota cuts in US, Canada to hit small car buyers - Apr 20, 2011
- Hindustan Motors to launch premium sedan Lancer Evolution X - Sep 30, 2010
- Honda targets sales of 21 lakh mobikes, scooters - May 11, 2011
- Mitsubishi to produce Pajero Sport in Russia in 2013 - Aug 30, 2012
- Now, Harley Davidson bikes in India at slashed prices - Jan 05, 2012
- Toyota investing Rs.500 cr for engine plant in India - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: automakers, automobile producer, cbu, floods in thailand, great potential, investment destination, jakarta post, largest population, local sales, population in southeast asia, president director, pt toyota astra motor, rear view, regional production, sales target, seat belts, supply disruption, toyota astra motor, toyota astra motor tam, xinhua