Top priority for infrastructure in next plan: PMAugust 15th, 2011 - 9:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Infrastructure development will get top priority in the next Five Year Plan that starts 2012, especially to reach development to far flung areas that have no connectivity, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday.
“We are continuously strengthening the physical infrastructure in our country. This is an area that requires very large investments. It is for this reason that in the last seven years we have pursued policies to encourage investment in infrastructure,” the prime minister said in his Independence Day address at the Red Fort here.
“As a percentage of our GDP, investment in this area has grown more than one-and-a-half times in the last seven years,” he said.
As a result of the focus on infrastructure, there had been major improvements in India’s capacities in the petroleum and power generation sectors, as also in airports, roads, and ports, he said.
“As an illustration, the capacity in power generation that we are going to add in the 11th plan will be twice that of the 10th plan.
“In the 12th Plan (2012-13 to 2016-2017), we will further accelerate investment in infrastructure,” he said.
“We will pay special attention to the remote areas of our country and to rural areas. Connecting such areas by rail and road will get the top most priority.”
- Private participation vital to expedite development in northeast: Plan panel - Mar 30, 2012
- Northeast seeks special package for industry, tourism - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Northeast needs new road making techniques for growth' - Feb 06, 2012
- 134 urban development schemes cleared for northeast - Sep 18, 2011
- We also want strong Lokpal, no hunger strikes please: PM (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2011
- African Union summit concludes with package of agreements (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 7 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 5 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 6 - Mar 14, 2012
- Coal Minister invites foreign investment - Aug 03, 2012
- Tripura for northeast energy grid - Jul 05, 2011
- Finance ministry vetting infrastructure debt fund scheme: Montek - Jun 10, 2011
- Healthcare spending to be upped to 2.5 percent of GDP: Azad - Jan 07, 2012
- Highlights of PM's Independence Day speech - Aug 15, 2011
- Steps to boost Indian apparel exports on anvil - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,