Tony Blair joins Indian-born billionaire’s US firmMay 25th, 2010 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 25 (IANS) Former British prime minister Tony Blair, who has landed a job as adviser to Indian-born billionaire Vinod Khosla’s US-based venture capital firm, says he shares a “clear vision” with the tycoon, “one of the earliest leaders in cleantech investment”.
Blair is to lend his expertise and “global relationships” to the California-based Khosla Ventures, which specialises in promoting environmentally friendly technology, The Guardian reported Tuesday.
Vinod Khosla is one of the founders of the computer firm Sun Microsystems. The 55-year-old tycoon has a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine at $1.1 billion. He says that the world should look for technological breakthroughs to find “clean” alternatives to oil, coal, cement and steel.
Blair said: “Solving the climate crisis is more than just a political agenda item - it’s an urgent priority that requires innovation, creativity and ambition.”
“I share a clear vision with Vinod, one of the earliest leaders in cleantech investment, that entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley and beyond will have a tremendous impact on our environmental future,” a statement quoted Blair as saying.
His appointment to the Silicon Valley firm was announced Monday at a summit for the firm’s investors in Sausalito, near San Francisco, the media report said.
Blair told the Wall Street Journal that the job was “not a pro bono” role.
Khosla said the arrangement would allow him to “ask Tony for advice” and he told the WSJ: “Tony’s going to help us in many areas that techie nerds like us in Silicon Valley don’t understand.”
- Blair appointed `green energy' adviser to US venture capital giant Khosla Ventures - May 25, 2010
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- Indian Americans in Forbes Midas List - May 04, 2012
- Indian American Vinod Khosla tops Forbes 10 greenest billionaires - Apr 23, 2010
- US-India business summit sees huge potential (Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 29, 2012
- Huge potential seen in US-India business ties - Apr 29, 2012
- Indian, Chinese and Canadian businesses, govt. to atend Cleantech Forum in Toronto - Mar 21, 2011
- Four of Indian-origin among America's 400 super-rich - Sep 23, 2010
- Finnish 'clean tech' firms look for joint venture in India - Feb 03, 2011
- Tech companies going eco-friendly with products - Oct 25, 2010
- Six Indian-Americans in Forbes Midas 100 - Apr 07, 2011
- Five Indian Americans among Forbes 400 richest - Sep 20, 2012
- China's first bank for technological innovation opens - Aug 16, 2012
- Sweden eyes environmental cooperation with UAE - Dec 20, 2010
- Gates still Forbes' richest American, 4 Indians among top 400 - Oct 01, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,