Tipaimukh dam protesters begin march to Indian borderAugust 9th, 2009 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 9 (IANS) A “long-march” to protest the proposed Tipaimukh dam project in India has been kicked off in the Bangladeshi capital. The marchers are headed to Sylhet in northeastern Bangladesh and then on to the Indian border, a media report said Sunday.
The “long march” was flagged off Saturday and should reach Sylhet, located 272 km northeast of Dhaka, by Tuesday. The district borders India’s Assam and Meghalaya states.
“It was announced at the rally that after reaching Sylhet, the participants would march on towards the border with India,” The Daily Star reported Sunday.
Different groups have been protesting India’s plans to build a dam on Barak river at Tipaimukh in Manipur state.
Members of the Tipaimukh Bandh Protirodh Committee and Sylhet Bibhag Unnayan Sangram Parishad began their march from the capital’s Central Shaheed Minar, the national martyrs’ memorial, after a rally.
The march is aimed at creating awareness among the people against the construction of the Tipaimukh dam as well as to forge national unity on the issue, organisers said.
The march participants walked to Muktangon from the Shaheed Minar and later boarded a bus for Sylhet.
- Zia criticises India's Tipaimukh dam project again - Aug 03, 2009
- Citizens' group opposes sub-panel on Tipaimukh dam - Aug 30, 2012
- Stop building Tipaimukh dam, Zia writes to Manmohan Singh - Jun 23, 2009
- India firm on Tipaimukh project - amid concerns across border - Jul 10, 2011
- Bangladeshi envoy to visit India over dam project issue (Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
- British MP marches to Bangladesh-India border to protest dam - Nov 30, 2009
- Khaleda Zia writes to Manmohan over Tipaimukh Dam project - Nov 23, 2011
- Hasina calls for unity to bargain better with India over Tipaimukh dam - Jul 19, 2009
- Dhaka wants more information from Delhi on Tipaimukh dam - Aug 23, 2009
- No hasty decision on construction of Tipaimukh dam: Pala - Jul 16, 2010
- China supports Bangladesh-India talks on Tipaimukh dam - Jul 24, 2009
- Tipai team leaves for India - Jul 29, 2009
- One dead in Bangladesh clash - Jan 30, 2012
- Thousands protest power project in Chile - May 30, 2011
- Convention on mega dams in Assam from Feb 25 - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,