Tiffin meals in US - the ‘dabbawallah’ way (Repeating for all needing)February 8th, 2009 - 11:33 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 8 (IANS) Mumbai’s famous ‘dabbawallahs’ have arrived in the US, with a leading restaurant chain specialising in Indian cuisine launching “Tiffin Meals”, a new home and office meal delivery service in Boston and Cambridge.
With a click of a mouse, patrons now can order quality, home-style Indian food every day for lunch, the Boston based One World Cuisine restaurant chain said while launching the service patterned on Mumbai’s ‘dabbawallah’ carriers.
“The launch of Tiffin Meals allows us to better serve our customers, whether in our restaurants, their homes or their offices,” said Amrik Pabla, president of the One World Cuisine group of restaurants, grocery stores and lounges.
Tiffin Meals’ chefs prepare the day’s menu fresh every morning at One World Cuisine’s South End restaurant, Mela.
The Tiffin Meals’ attractive freezer and microwave-safe containers, which unlike traditional tiffin containers need not be returned, are filled with the day’s orders and delivered to offices and homes ready to eat for lunch.
At present, the Tiffin Meals service is being offered for lunch only and in a limited delivery area of Boston and Cambridge.
“We will ensure that our customers are eating quality, home-style Indian food every day, without the hassle of cooking or cleaning,” added Pabla. “We’re offering three new tiffins: two vegetarian dishes at $7.50 each and one non-vegetarian selection for $8.50.”
Each tiffin meal contains a soup of the day, choice of three daily entrees, dal or vegetable side dish, rice, onion, and tamarind chutney and naan. Items such as samosas or pakoras, beverages and dessert also are available for an additional charge.
- Business of 'home-like' food thrives in Kolkata - May 01, 2010
- Europe's oldest vegetarian restaurant on culinary crusade (With Images) - Aug 05, 2011
- Thali goes quick-eat in world of corporate bites (With Images) - Aug 21, 2011
- Palak paneer to tandoori - Indian food a hit in Helsinki (Feature) (With Images) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sumptuous spread at PM's luncheon for Zardari - Apr 08, 2012
- India's dabbawallahs planning to increase service charges by Rs 50 - Jul 03, 2010
- Indian platter goes casual; eateries reap bounty - Oct 23, 2011
- Indian cuisines coexist, promote tolerance: Australian restaurateur - Nov 16, 2011
- Rural restaurants for food security - and jobs too (Comment) - May 16, 2012
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Courtesy young enthusiasts, Japanese food takes a bow in India (With Images) - Feb 26, 2012
- Culinary delights of walled city with five-star comfort (With Images) - Feb 10, 2012
- Mumbai dabbawalas to back Hazare's fast - Aug 05, 2011
- Mumbai, a city that never stops eating! - May 21, 2012
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: delivery area, grocery stores, home style, indian cuisine, indian food, launch, lounges, meal delivery service, meals service, naan, pakoras, s south, samosas, specialising, tamarind chutney, tiffins, vegetable side dish, vegetarian dishes, vegetarian selection, world cuisine