Three rescued in Goa mining accidentJuly 16th, 2011 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 16 (IANS) Three people were washed away, but later rescued in a mining-related accident in Goa Saturday, officials said.
A wall of a large mining dump, operated by the Vedanta Resources-owned Sesa Goa Private Limited at Bicholim, 30 km from here, containing millions of tonnes of rainwater cracked open flooding the nearby fields, district officials said.
Three people were washed away in the deluge but were saved from drowning by passers-by.
In a statement issued here, Sesa Goa said the incident occurred as a result of excessive rains.
“Today morning at the Bicholim mine, due to heavy rainfall (191 mm in 8 hours), bund of settling pond breached and the water has flowed into the adjoining areca-nut plantation and paddy fields,” said M.K. Reddy, general manager at the Sesa Goa mine.
“The company is taking adequate steps to repair the breach and other necessary precautionary measures on an immediate basis,” Reddy added.
Three people were drowned in a mining accident in Cuddegal in south Goa, some 50 km from here, earlier this month.
- Goa asks 100 mines to beef up monsoon maintenance - Jul 22, 2011
- Goa to inspect safety of 100 mining operations - Jul 25, 2011
- Sesa Goa employees protest 24x7 mining operations - May 04, 2012
- Mining firms encroaching on government land: Kamat - Apr 06, 2011
- Government pulls up 20 percent mines - Sep 18, 2011
- RTI activist complains against mining company - Jul 02, 2011
- Sesa Goa issued notices for violating norms - Apr 09, 2012
- Village downs shutters protesting pollution from Goa plant - Aug 27, 2012
- Vedanta Resources mines operated illegally in Goa: minister - Mar 17, 2011
- Vedanta to consolidate subsidiaries into single entity - Feb 25, 2012
- Goa orders shutdown at soot emitting plant - Aug 28, 2012
- Rethinking donations from mining firms: BJP - Oct 15, 2011
- Two injured as mining bridge collapses - Feb 15, 2012
- Political donations common practice: mining firm Sesa Goa - Oct 14, 2011
- Award for Goa company accused of illegal mining - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: adequate steps, areca nut, breach, bund, deluge, district officials, excessive rains, nearby fields, paddy fields, precautionary measures, rainfall, rainwater, sesa goa, south goa, tonnes, vedanta resources