Three percent licence fee on 3G operators recommendedNovember 11th, 2008 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) The Telecom Commission Tuesday recommended to impose a licence fee of three percent of average gross revenue (AGR) on those mobile operators which will offer stand-alone third generation (3G) mobile services. The existing players like Airtel, Vodafone and Idea which at present pay two to six percent of their aggregate revenues as user charges for offering 2G services would be required to pay one more percent if they secure airwaves to offer 3G services.
The 3G radio frequencies will enable network operators to offer a wide range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency.
Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony, video calls, and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment.
However, the commission deferred imposing a one-time spectrum enhancement charge on 6.2 megahertz (MHz) of spectrum for telecom operators.
The commission also recommended a one percent increase of fee across slabs up to eight MHz of spectrum and two percent increase above eight MHz. These will be applicable from Jan 1, 2009.
The commission has also introduced a three year lock-in period on stake sales by promoters of new telecom companies and these operators cannot issue special dividend during these three years.
- Telecom watchdog to hold talks on pricing of 2G spectrum - May 20, 2010
- Telecom Regulatory says no to 2-G spectrum auctions, slashes licence fee - May 12, 2010
- 2G: Raids at Airtel, Vodafone offices after CBI files new case (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Telecom shares plunge on 2G spectrum price hike move - Apr 24, 2012
- Telecom operators discuss spectrum issues with Sibal - Mar 08, 2011
- Telecom cos may have to pay for excess spectrum - Jan 19, 2012
- India to have 400 million 3G connection by 2015: Study - Mar 08, 2011
- Airtel has unfair advantage, say Dhaka operators - Apr 10, 2011
- TRAI's reserve price extremely high: CII - May 06, 2012
- Telecom operators concerns referred to internal committee - Jul 07, 2010
- Pakistan's 3G policy gets in principle nod - Nov 24, 2011
- TRAI sets high base price for 2G auction, operators cry foul (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Bharti Airtel scrip falls after CBI raids - Nov 21, 2011
- Telecom watchdog wants operators to pay for unused spectrum - May 11, 2010
- Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms - Nov 28, 2011