Three labourers killed in West Bengal accidentMay 24th, 2009 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) Three contract labourers were killed in an accident at a process vehicle in the Haldia Petrochemicals Limited plant in West Bengal Sunday, an official said.
“Three people died in the accident. But I have no more details. I understand the company is conducting an investigation,” East Midnapore district Magistrate D. Choten Lama told IANS on telephone.
A company statement said the three labourers - employed by a contractors’ firm - entered into the process vehicle. “With deep regret HPL reports an unfortunate accident at its plant in Haldia, which has claimed three valuable lives.”
The plant in East Midnapore district has been shut down since May 8 for maintenance purposes.
The families of the victims alleged that the tragedy occurred due to gas emission in the plant. But the company denied it.
District CPI-M leader and former MP Lakshman Seth has demanded compensation of Rs.500,000 for the families of each victim.
- HPL eyes two projects to beat financial crisis - Oct 26, 2011
- Bengal minister becomes HPL chairman - Mar 27, 2012
- Bengal to seek legal opinion on Haldia verdict - Oct 29, 2011
- Chatterjee Group chief meet Mamata ahead of HPL board meet - Mar 26, 2012
- HPL awaits nod for product swapping terms in next board meeting - Aug 04, 2012
- Haldia Petrochemicals on road to recovery: Official - Jun 15, 2011
- HPL plans to hike production for turnaround - Jul 11, 2012
- Bhattacharyya resigns as Haldia Petrochemicals MD - Jun 19, 2012
- Chatterjee Group plans Rs.4,000 crore investment in Bengal - Jul 06, 2011
- Haldia Petrochemicals contract workers go on strike - Nov 21, 2009
- HPL's revival only after resolving shareholding dispute: Godrej - Nov 15, 2011
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Haldia Petrochemicals expects Rs.10,000 crore turnover this fiscal - Jun 11, 2011
- Former CPI-M lawmaker, aides sent to 3 days' CID custody - Mar 20, 2012
- 'Bengal minister's appointment violative of Constitution' - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: CPI, district magistrate, gas emission, haldia petrochemicals, hpl, labourers, lakshman, lama, maintenance purposes, may 24, midnapore district, mp, rs 500, seth, tragedy, unfortunate accident, west bengal